Who in ED is happy to spend ?4.50 on a loaf of bread?

Curmudgeon

Try P/kham farmes market, where its easy to spend ?5 on a big lumpy loaf unless you ask befre you buy ( my mistake ! )

Go to lidl and get some of their excellent VolksBrot if its roughage yer after and treat yourself to some Reinhheitsgebot ( sp !) beer & quark with the change.

Mrs M came home with a brownie and brioche on Friday, bought from their temporary 'stall' outside Moxons.

I was distinctly unimpressed. Unless they raise their standards to a truly earth-shattering level (ie so that anyone who can afford to pay exorbitant prices for bread on a regular basis - not us by the way - buys their bread there) then they will fail. Which would be a shame, as I'd love to have a healthy (ie not Greggs-style) bakers on LL. I think they need to raise quality by 100%, and drop prices by 30% - then they might have a viable proposition for some of the ED population. Businesses that cater to the top 5% of ED in demographic terms will not get enough volume to make their business work - anyone notice that Raisin has closed down? I think they need to be relevant/accessible to at least 25% of the local population.

BTW, I emailed the address on their website two weeks ago, to ask about their range, and to please tell me it wasn;t true they were selling bread for #4.50 per loaf - still no reply as yet.

BM

Absolutetly not! Chez Bellenden Belle is more than happy to pay a little extra for nice bread and we regularly treat ourselves to a lovely loaf from Lucius and Richards (walnut and onion is particularly yummy) but for that pleasure we pay around the ?2 - ?3 mark. More than Sainsbury, but worth every penny. For ?4.50 I would expect it buttered and delivered on a silver tray. I think Bald Maraurder is spot on - prices would need to drop by at least 30%.

There seems to be a trend developing with newcomers to Lordship Lane - for example La Chandelier; the new gym; and now this - selling overpriced "luxury" products" and I fear in the future there will be a divided lane - chains catering for one end of the market; overpriced independents for the other. A real shame.

I wouldn't pay that and I agree with Bellenden Belle about the shopping trend, but at least we do have a choice when comes down to shopping and so we don't have to pay that price. Personally instead of going to a deli to buy a small bottle of fancy cold pressed greek olive oil for ?7, the Dulwich Supermarket (opposite the err, ED Deli) sells big, litre bottles of it for less than a fiver.

In the East Dulwich Deli, a litre of normal Extra Virgin olive oil is ?8.60, in the shop opposite a litre of normal Extra Virgin olive oil is ?3.99

[edited once]

yeh I walked past with Mrs Tips yesterday and said much the same to her as the headline of this discussion - I couldn't believe it was being so prominently displayed with that ?4.50 sign sticking out of some big brown lump - like it was OK to charge that - glad I wasn't the only one thinking it was a bit bonkers

As I have said before; nowadays, after providing quality ingredients, small-scale production labour, and a bit of profit, the price could well be justifed. I don't really know as I'm not in food production and p'raps the profit element is inflated due to the location but I bet not that much.

Anyway, no I wouldn't pay that price. I make my own bread since the acquisition of a bread making machine (thanks CWALD). But if some people can, I say let them as there is still plenty of fairly decent bread to be had cheaper elsewhere.

Edit: posted under wrong name! (work it out)

one thing i would say is that they are a new business, and so presumably still finding their feet. by all accounts its incredibly hard work setting up your own business and if we want to be the sort of area that encourages independent shops then maybe its best not to slag someone off for trying, whether they are getting it right or not. (im sure feedback directly to the stallholder is better than trying to put off other people going there.)

if it realy is overpriced then they wont sell enough and they will drop their prices to suit. but give them a chance.

ps. i am always at le chandelier and i dont see what all the fuss over their prices is. i think its roughly ?4 for a strong monmouth coffee and a pastry baked on the premises, well worth it. plus i get to hang out with my sister in a lovely cafe = priceless.

plus

> i get to hang out with my sister in a lovely cafe

> = priceless

Omigod...Did you actually just quote a Barclaycard advert without irony? That's amazing...

IN response to your post - I think you will find that someone said they have actually taken the time to email the company in question and have received no response... and besides, any business worth its salt will read this forum - one only has to see the responses made by such companies as JoJO Maman Bebe, White Stuff and Green and Blue to know savvy companies use sites like these as a barometer for their business.

Sainsburys do two excellent multi grain breads, one for a pound, one slightly over.

Both are very tasty indeed and the wife, who is a registered nutritionist says the ingredients used are very well chosen.

They taste great, don't cost the earth and Sainsburys doesn't take long to walk to from Lordship Lane, so you can't go wrong really.

er i know this is about bread but shu.kurimu.sensei all those websites on your signature are very cool. I'm working with a young Japanese guy called 'Anchorsong'(bit like cornelius ..sort of) next monday at the water rats in kings cross. why dont you send me an email/pm and ill see if i can get you in.

beer .....2.80 to 3 pounds a pint

cigarettes about a fiver ........

a mars bar etc around the 45 to 50 p mark

covent garden soup carrot and coriander for example 1.85

buy the expensive bread if you love it what we like is what we like ....I LIKE chocolate that costs a fortune my choice

and NOW TO RECOUP THE money squandered on bread make your own carrot and coriander soup

method

take one onion some celery a large potato ...wash chop and put into a large saucepan with a drop of olive oil or veg oil if broke . add one clove of garlic squashed fry this all gently until the onions are cooking but not browning

wash and chop about ten carrots add these .now add one litre of water /preferably stock . if no stock add one maggi veggie stock cube . or similar . a bay leaf is good and coriander seeds crushed if you have them and black pepper but NO salt as soups reduce slightly and salt intensifies

a dash of soy sauce is also good cook this lot up on a medium heat for about 40 minutes BLEND then taste. IF ITS TOO THICK ADD A LITTLE WATER NOW add salt if you feel it needs it sprinkle with as much fresh coriander as you like eat with very EXPENSIVE bread and butter X

PS this is enough soup for about six people or two to three gluttons

ps when i first went to denmark in 1981 bread cost the equivalent of ?2 then god only knows breads probably ?38 nowadays :} mind you it was porganic , crikey my typos just given me an idea

like freegans a new movement poorganics ..good food on the cheap see above recipe .right im over toired off to bed for me