favourite songs of all time (or has this been done already?)

LizzygotDizzy

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LizzygotDizzy Wrote:

> > If you're not the one - Daniel Beddingfield

>

> Please tell me your joking?!

Personal favourites to Lizzy I am sure, maybe she should just have named thread "My favourite songs of all time", then wouldn't get catty comebacks

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> whooah David - "These Words" is a great track as well!

I'll second that.

Aaaanyway, songs that have stood the test of time with me would include...

"Wild Horses" - Rolling Stones

"Today" - Smashing Pumpkins

"Round Here" - Counting Crows

"Patience" - Guns N' Roses

Actually, now I've written that, I realise that they're all songs I play quite regularly... Come to The Plough on Friday!!! ;-)

lozzyloz Wrote:

> and Mozarts Piano Concerto No 20 in D Minor (I know not strictly a song)

If we're doing classical too...

Nimrod - Elgar

Lamentation Symphony - Haydn

Creation - Haydn

Requiem - Mozart (Like Verdi's too, but Mozart's pips it for me)

Adagio for Organ & Strings in G Minor - Albinoni

There is also a string quartet by Schubert, but can't remember which one off the top of my head.

*Bob* Wrote:

> I wouldn't get too carried away with the 'ability'

> part, David.

>

> Of course, opinions on music are entirely

> subjective, but that still doesn't stop me from

> being right.

Does "These Words" hit just a little close home Bob?

Trying to find the magic

Trying to write a classic

Don't you know, don't you know, don't you know?

Waste-bin full of paper

Clever rhymes, see you later

Hmmmm. Whilst both Daniel the Pie-Eater and his sister are clearly lyrical genii, it is stuff like this that discourages me from further debate over their respective merits ;-)

Still, rather than just criticise I suppose I should open myself up to the same treatment:

Otis Redding - Try a little tenderness

Sam Cooke - A change is gonna come

Johnny Cash - I walk the line

Bob Dylan - Girl from the North Country

Good point DC - only problem is I can't nail a favourite of all time - there are too many songs and they go in and out of favour. And most of my favourites wouldn't be known to many people.. not because I'm elitist but familiar songs are, to me, over-familiar and even the very very best of them become annoying when they are over familiar

Hallelujah is an example. Probably is one of my favourites but between Laughing Len, Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright and John Cale I tend to skip it when it comes on now... Once in a while I haven't heard it for ages and I'm reminded of how much I love it

Keef usually includes it when he plays with Dems (that's this Friday, folk, at the Plough!) and I always look forward to that - great version

Ha Ha

Alas, I'm far too self-conscious to write lyrics. I did try once but the result was so arse-clenchingly poor that I had to screw up the piece of paper, set it on fire and bury the ashes at the bottom of the garden. So someone else does the lyrics, and I do the melody and production blah blah. That way, if it's awful, at least 50% isn't my fault.

Pop music shouldn't be compared to proppa music, because the two are not comparable. Good pop music should be like a good joke that you quite like hearing again when the time is right, which isn't quite the same as turning all the lights out, putting 'Hallelujah' on and rocking gently in a darkened room as you lament your long lost love.

And lyrics are not to be confused with poetry, because they aren't. Even if you dress all in black and read them from a leather-bound book, pausing poignantly after each line.

Ooh! Forgot to add my random cool list so you all know I'm very serious about my music as well as liking "If You're Not The One"

i dunno. er..

Thin Lizzy / Little Girl in Bloom

Tom Waits / Gun Street Girl

Neil Young / Helpless

Stevie Wonder / He's Misstra Know-It-All

The Band / Up On Cripple Creek

Will that do?

Ah bless ya Sean. :))

I actually heard another version of it on Desert Island Disks recently, think it was actually K D Lang (could be wrong). Quite a nice version with lots of strings. I know exactly what you mean though, it's one that I have over played, but after a while I'm ready for it again.

I also tried to name old favourites, as newer songs can come and go. Hot Fuss by the Killers was an album I played all the time when it came out, and I grew completely bored of it! It has a couple of great songs on it, which I'm sure I'll like a lot more in the future, but right now the whole album just bores me.

Similar thing for me comes with classics like Sweet Child. Ilove it, and I love Guns N' Roses, and if it's ever on in a bar I'll go mad for it. However, if it came on at home these days, I'd probably flick.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Pop music shouldn't be compared to proppa music,

> because the two are not comparable.

Whoa there Bob. You are on thin ice there. You'd have to define "proper" music to start with and decide what falls into the different categories. The Beatles were/are pop music but I'd say they are lyrically more inventive and influential than the Monkees. Likewise, are the Beach-Boys the greatest male harmony group of all time or is Pet Sounds merely trite surf pop.

> And lyrics are not to be confused with poetry,

> because they aren't. Even if you dress all in

> black and read them from a leather-bound book,

> pausing poignantly after each line.

For the defence, may I call Mr Robert Zimmerman. Mr Zimmerman, would you please read to the forum the lyrics from one of your hits:

Johnny's in the basement

Mixing up the medicine

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government

The man in the trench coat

Badge out, laid off

Says he's got a bad cough

Wants to get it paid off

Look out kid

It's somethin' you did

God knows when

But you're doin' it again

You better duck down the alley way

Lookin' for a new friend

The man in the coon-skin cap

In the big pen

Wants eleven dollar bills

You only got ten

Poetry of the finest order.

Oh, and Sean, you're bang on the money.

I hate that point when you fall in love with a song, know you are overplaying it, tell yourself to stop - but you never do...

Many of my favourites have been pinned in the Music Room. but ones that have stood the test of time for me are

If You Go Away - Scott Walker

Wild Is The Wind - choose from Simone/Mathis/Bowie/Cat Power versions to taste

Berties Brochures - Fatima Mansions (no you won't have heard it but if I pull my finger out and get the Christmas CD for everyone sorted it'll be on there)

Proppa. Or cool. Or Real. Or critically acclaimed. Call it what you will.

That's what these kinds of threads are about, aren't they? There's probably someone sitting somewhere right now thinking "well, I really like 'Keep On Movin' by S-Club but I don't know that much about Jeff Buckley's back catalogue so I think I'll just let the boys talk.

And yes, Bob Dylan was quite poetic, wasn't he? Which explains why most of his songs were so shite.

Impossible to pin down favourites, they change like the weather. But some stick around and off the top of my head...The Rolling Stones - Jumpin' Jack Flash for the opening riffs that grab your attention straight away and You Can't Always Get What You Want, the choir at the end still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, David Bowie - Starman, The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning. I'll leave it at that.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Proppa. Or cool. Or Real. Or critically acclaimed.

> Call it what you will.

> That's what these kinds of threads are about,

> aren't they? There's probably someone sitting

> somewhere right now thinking "well, I really like

> 'Keep On Movin' by S-Club but I don't know that

> much about Jeff Buckley's back catalogue so I

> think I'll just let the boys talk.

>

> And yes, Bob Dylan was quite poetic, wasn't he?

> Which explains why most of his songs were so

> shite.

>:D< Oh, very funny *Bob*. I can't quite work out whether your tongue has been fiurmly in cheek this whole time or whether you take equal inspiration from Jo, Rachel, Tina, Hannha, Jon, Bradley and the other one as much as you do from Jeff Buckley Indeed there are people who know little of Jeff Buckley as there are those who know little of Raphael, Dante and Shakespeare but there's no need to appeal to the lowest common denominator is there. Anyway, perhaps you and I had best not hijack this lovely thread any further with our inane chat and sixth-form style arguments over art and criticism.

ps. leave Dylan alone or I'll have to see you outside. ;-)

Some of my favourites

New Order- Temptation

Echo and the Bunnymen- The Back of Love

The Clash- Straight to Hell

Yvonne Ellimen- If I can't have you

The Smiths- Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

If it includes operas

Verdi- Don Carlo/ Simon Boccanegra

Wagner- Tristan und Isolde/ Die Walkure

Bellini- Norma