Animal abuse on Peckham Rye! (dogs tied up outside cafe) Lounged

James

Was amazed at the weekend to see a couple of dogs tethered outside Peckham Rye cafe in the pouring rain while their owners were enjoying a cup of coffee inside. The dogs were shivering and looked distressed. I know it's annoying that the cafe won't allow dogs but this is disgraceful - I'm sure the owners would claim to be animal lovers but as far as I'm concerned this sort of behaviour is abuse. Wish I had gone insde and told them off now!

Hi James

That was my dog this morning. He has this big furry coat thing that keeps him warm in the rain/snow/wind... He was very happy under the eaves sheltering from the pouring rain and watching the world go by instead of getting bedraggled in the park. I did offer him some of my coffee and cake but he prefers rooting around in the leaves and finding his own delights.

Great cafe though isn't it.. and the polenta and lemon cake is to die for - maybe they could start selling doggie biscuits too.

I agree, walking the dog is one thing, but leaving them outside a cafe in the pouring rain is not something you would want done to yourself so why do it to another animal. It's equally as bad when I see dogs locked in cars on a hot summers day, or left tied up outside without any drinking water. Some very irrresponsible pet owners in this world.

Word of warning for those leaving dogs teathered outside anywhere in public! Check out Doglost. It takes seconds for a dog to be stolen, even when it's apparently in view. The cafe has an external serving hatch, so you really don't need to go inside and as the cafe has eaves, you too can sit under them to shelter from inclement weather.

If in future you do see a dog in distress, please don't just walk past. Say something, even if it's just to complain to the cafe owner!

The cafe does sell dog treats, rodeo's 50p each :)

lol. beaten to it with Doglost lol

This may be a cultural thing because when we went to live in Canada when I was a kid, most of our neighbours thought we were weird for allowing our dog into the house at all as they expect dogs to stay outside, all year round no matter what the weather is like. It is the same in Jamaica, so maybe what some think of as abuse in this country would be seen as normal treatment of a dog in other countries.

Having an "outdoor dog" that doesn't come into the house is quite normal in England too. And a dog outside a cafe, even if it is raining, is not really animal abuse, like its owner said "He has this big furry coat thing that keeps him warm in the rain/snow/wind".

You make a good point CWALD. Different cultures have different attitudes towards animals. It was a daily fact of life growing up in Africa where there were lots of different cultures, all vastly different to one another. I saw some horrific things done to animals. Personally though I don?t think we have to accept what we perceive as cruelty just because it is accepted in someone else?s culture.

Well I won?t at least.

Mark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having an "outdoor dog" that doesn't come into the house is quite normal in England too. And a dog outside a cafe, even if it is raining, is not really animal abuse, like its owner said "He has this big furry coat thing that keeps him warm in

the rain/snow/wind".

Just because it's common doesn't make it right, I feel strongly that you shouldn't have a dog unless you have the time to spend with it, and treat it right. They are not wild animals anymore, and need affection. I can't stand people going out to work all day and leaving a dog in the garden!

As for the dogs "owner", James said he saw this at the weekend, therapist said s/he was there this morning. Therapist may well have tied his dog "under the eaves sheltering from the pouring rain". James' post suggests that the dogs he saw were left in the rain, and that is cruel. Coat or no coat, a dog would seek shelter.

By the way Mark, I can't believe the Administrator Lounged you, that's harsh man ;-)

I have been a member of the RSPCA for years (I don't speak for them - I just support them as I abhor any sort of cruelty to animals) but I have to say that I don't think leaving your dog outside for however long it takes to have a coffee and a cake constitutes cruelty - even if it is raining and/or cold. Any dog I have ever had has loved diving into freezing cold rivers and running about wet in the winter months! They don't feel the cold like we do. I think its a bit daft to suggest that leaving a dog outside for a short time in the rain is cruel. The fact that the dog was even out having a walk in the first place is a good sign that it gets proper attention!

Obviously the risk of theft is another matter entirely, but that wasn't what the original observation was directed towards.

Dogs are dogs - they love the outdoors, getting wet and sticking their noses up peoples arses. I can't imagine they were suffering because of 2 out of 3 of some of their favourite things.

Um, the dogs I saw were at the WEEKEND (as I said) and were NOT wearing coats. They were also shivering, and clearly unhappy.

Re. CWALD's point about cultural differences, animals are treated atrociously in some parts of the world. That doesn't make it right or acceptable. I'm glad that most people treat animals with more respect here!

Regarding having dogs in the cafe, I don't see why not. The Rye pub does, and they serve food.

trinity Wrote:

> but surely you don't expect dogs

> to be allowed in a cafe.

>

Why not? As has been said The Rye allows dogs in as does The Clockhouse. There is no health & safety legislation to support barring dogs from eateries either, only from kitchens. When I take my dogs into restaurants/pubs, they lie down under the table quite happily and more often than not others aren't even aware that they are there. The only issue I'd have taking my dogs into any place would be the interference of other patrons wanting to pet them whilst I'm eating.

Keef is right - it was the furry coat that comes with the animal I was referring to... and guess what, I work from home (like a lot of dog owners) and love having my playmate to run round the Rye with (he's a terror with those squirrels though, don't report him to the RSPCA.) Love the picture of the poodle in a macintosh!

I don't like dogs in restaurants - I don't think its the right place for them as it is unhygenic. My dog isn't allowed near our dining table at home whilst we are eating - its not a member of the family. It is our dearly loved pet but an animal none the less. Outside whilst people are eating is absolutly fine(unless snowing or bitterly cold).

trinity Wrote:

> I don't like dogs in restaurants - I don't think

> its the right place for them as it is unhygenic.

How is a dog lying under the table unhygenic? It's not on the table! If it was unhygenic, there'd be an hygiene regulation which there isn't. Exactly what do you base your theory on?

Its not a theory - its my opinion. If dogs can be controlled all the time then there is no problem. Guide dogs I don't have a problem with - they are well trained and controlled and are with their owners inside for a purpose. Perhaps your dog is fine but perhaps the next dog is smelly. Perhaps the next is wet and decides to have a good shake inside. Perhaps the next decides it likes the look of my childs meal. Perhaps it would be best to leave dogs outside for short time while the humans have a cuppa.