Found it: High protein/carb free cat food

The Minkey

Having just adopted a furry friend, I'd like to be able to feed her a high meat content wet food without the cereal fillers. Someone posted on the boards some time ago recommending a brand of cat food available in the UK which is high protein/carb free. Can anyone recall what it's called?

Of course cats should be grain free - ideally they should be on a high protein/high fat diet with non of the crap fillers that comprise most of what's in most commercially available cat foods (which are often no greater than 4% meat content). Seeing as I've once again taken on the commitment of having a cat, I'd like to be able to feed her something suitable for an obligate carnivore - my previous cat became hyperthyroid and had problems with elevated glucose levels towards the end of his life so I'd really like to do my best to avoid potential diet related health issues for this girl.

PGC: Unfortunately, they can't survive on fish/muscle meat alone.

Someone posted a link to what looked like a good food - several months ago - but I didn't pay much attention at the time as I'd just lost Thomas and didn't think I'd be getting another.

Hi Minkey,

Wet food tends to generally contain more protein & less carbohydrates than dry food. Try High Life 'Natures Essentials' range. Other brands you might want to look into are; Hills Science Plan, Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Applaws.

I find Brockwell Vets pet shop stocks all the high quality brands that can't be found at Sainsbury's

(but they do stock High Life & Applaws).

Also, try asking your vet, who might be able to recommend you something. But cats should definetly have a combination of both wet & dry food (if they'll eat it).

Thanks WB. I'm using the 60% meat Hi-Life food at the moment but as it's packed in Thailand, I wonder about the quality of the chicken etc used as commercial foods can contain foods of a nature and quality you wouldn't knowingly feed your animal, and I figure the regs in Thailand might be looser still.

All in all, I think a food that most closely follows a cat's natural diet must be better for it, if only the level of moisture content, so I don't/won't feed dry foods. If I were commited enough and knowledgable enough, I'd make it myself from raw but I really don't have the confidence to do so for fear I'd be missing out something vital, e.g. taurine.

Have you got a Bobby Luxury Cat Cottage in Cranberry Red ( yet ) ?

Come on, every cat needs one.

http://www.thepetextraordinarium.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/360x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/redcathouse.jpg and http://www.thepetextraordinarium.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/360x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/red.jpg one of these.

And you'll definitely need a harness http://www.thepetextraordinarium.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/360x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/n/animalharness.jpg abhttp://www.thepetextraordinarium.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/360x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/o/royal-treatment.jpg and royal treatment shampoo.http://24.media.tumblr.com/1iUWSgu0oqgbezasWUJlwUUso1_400.jpgYour cat does have sunglasses, right?

The Minkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd make it myself from raw but I really don't have the confidence to

> do so for fear I'd be missing out something vital, e.g. taurine.

You probably know all this stuff already, but for the curious cats amongst us:

Taurine occurs naturally in raw meat, fish and other seafoods - this VetLord article may be helpful: Taurine is essential for cats.

There also appears to exist a thriving market for supplimentary vitamins and nutrients for furry fussy feline foodies.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this oldie as I found a great site with a variety of good quality foods for anyone interested in feeding their cats a high meat content wet food - several good options, e.g. the Bozita looks good and is competitively priced: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/bozita

(there's also an 80% meat content dry food)

Nette: Yes it's true lots of animals are wheat free as ridiculous as that sounds! One of my dog's is wheat free, she can only eat chicken or fish and is not allowed bones to chew either. She has to have a bath every week in special shampoo and currently eye drops twice a day! High maintenance to say the least!!

I would like to move my two to raw, Rememberwhen, but I've had them less than a month so first swapping them over to wetfood. I used to give my old cat, Thomas, a bit of raw meat whenever I had some in the house and he'd go wild with excitement but he'd been an avid hunter/consumer of rodents in his youth so he was well acquainted with food in its most natural state. I never had the confidence to be able to prepare balanced raw meals for him, as the article mentions, it shouldn't be all muscle meat. I guess the ratio of mouse muscle to bone and organs would be about right, whatever that is ;-) It makes so much sense to feed them something as close to a natural diet as possible, going raw is a step towards that as the raw food contains enzymes that are destroyed by cooking.

He was on a strict diet the last couple of years of his life as he'd become inactive and was piling on the pounds. I was feeding him a renal diet, not much of it due to the need to lose weight, yet he never really did lose weight although he certainly lost muscle mass and one vet said he was wasting. In hindsight, I think it may have been the carby food he was getting and I so wish I'd stumbled across more appropriate food for him earlier.

On the subject of grains, the most grain a cat would eat in its natural state would be whatever was in the bellies of the prey it was consuming at the time i.e. a minimal amount. So why feed them something their bodies aren't designed to be able to utilise? That simply doesn't make sense and it doesn't take a genius to work out these foods can cause health issues further down the line, in the same way our bodies suffer from poor dietary choices.

Marie81 - does your dog have eczema? I just wondered as you mention she has to be grain free and you have to use a special shampoo. My mum's dog suffered terribly until she changed his food by chance one day and it simply cleared up, no further intervention required. That experience alone has made me more careful about what I feed my animals.

This is what Bozita have to say about their dog food in case you are interested:

Meat in appetising clear jelly

Ready-to-serve, complete diet for dogs

Contains all vitamins and minerals your dog needs

All raw ingredients declared

No meat meal, sugar, colourings, soya or grains

With omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and a glossy coat

Suitable for every age

Bozita quality means:

Ingredients exclusively of the highest quality

Made only with ingredients from humane animal rearing

Made from meat under human-grade consumption controls

All ingredients free from growth hormones

No artificial flavour enhancers

No added preservatives

No use of antibiotics

No use of carcass meal in feeding and food products

Constantly monitored production processes (ISO 9001)

Highly advanced environmental managing systems (ISO 14001)

PS: I'm not a Bozita rep, honest! It just looks like decent stuff.