Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
messageRe: Peckham town centre historic restorations
Posted by Huggers 28 February, 2012 13:48

I live off Bellenden road and love it. I already use Barstory and local pubs so I would use the new station square. It can be a relief from getting your shins bashed by bugaboos in lordship lane. For those who mock Peckham, look at Hackney. Even the shithole bits like Lower Clapton that in the eightees you wouldnt deign to walk down without a bodyguard are now denizens of charm without the fantastic transport links of Peckham. Yup, Rye Lane is a bit of a mess, but so was Ridley Road.
and we like pigs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2012:02:28:13:49:46 by Huggers.

Posted by jimmyraj 28 February, 2012 18:01

I think it's fantastic and great news for anyone who lives near or uses the station. Don't think anyone's suggesting Rye Lane is going to become Lordship Lane, nor should it be, but the opening up of the station square should at least reverse some of the bonkers planning / architectural decisions of second half of the last century!

Posted by Eileen 29 February, 2012 02:08

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/images/2/20/10.06_Peckham-Rye-Waiting-Room-05_small.jpg
Here is a photo of the Old Waiting Room above the ticket hall at Peckham Rye station. It was bricked up for possibly 60 years until we managed to persuade the Council it would be safe to unbrick the windows and put the glass back in. That opened the way to a smallish CGS grant in 2008. We had a good idea that once we started letting everyone see what was hidden behind the grime and in the shadow, revealing the historic spaces and the beauty of the fabric, it would make other things move. So it has. We got the Royal Court to the Bussey building in Peckham last year because they spotted the Old Waiting Room. When they couldn't have that we managed to persuade them the Bussey would do as well. Since then more theatre productions have found their way to the Bussey. Just the start. One thing can lead to another.

Come to the meeting on 14th March to find out where we have got to and where we are going. We need community support to show this needs to continue as a community led project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:04:12:50:41 by Eileen.

Posted by Eileen 29 February, 2012 02:13

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I seem to remember the old waiting room from back
> in the mid 50's
> Old Fox

Hi Old Fox - can you recall if it looked like what it does now - see the photo above? We'd be very interested in your memories if you can tell us about them. And also if you remember it being closed down and bricked up, and what people might have thought about that?

Posted by Townleygreen 29 February, 2012 08:25

That photo of the Waiting Room is incredible - it is so BIG - just wow. Who would brick this up?

Posted by Huggers 29 February, 2012 08:39

I have just discovered the Bussey! What an amazing space. I had no idea it had a theatre space and a cafe! If the Waiting Room was used for theatre it would be wonderful.

Ive just found the old spike too! I had glimpsed it through the hoardings on Consort Road but had no idea it was actually on a proper road and accessable- now developed into flats- such an awesome building completely unknown to me during its 'alternative arts' incarnation as a squat, even though I'd lived within a mile of it for ten years.

Peckham also has the oldest/longest surviving high street of original buildings in London as the English Heritage paper records in great detail. On Peckham High Street, seeing a chippy/loan shop topped by two topsy turvy seventeenth century houses is a sight for sore eyes. ANywhere else it would be listed, restored, protected.

Posted by DJKillaQueen 29 February, 2012 12:04

The view from the top of the Bussey is great too. Thank goodness Mayor Ken never got his folly tram scheme going as Southwark and then leader Nick Stanton had decided it would all be better flattened for a a massive martialing yard.

--------------------
Gooooaaaaalllllll!

Posted by Eileen 01 March, 2012 02:46

Huggers Wrote:
> Ive just found the old spike too! I had glimpsed
> it through the hoardings on Consort Road but had
> no idea it was actually on a proper road and
> accessable- now developed into flats- such an
> awesome building completely unknown to me during
> its 'alternative arts' incarnation as a squat,
> even though I'd lived within a mile of it for ten
> years.
>
Hi Huggers - I agree it is a fantastic building accessible from the north end of Gordon Road, beside the railway line. But when you say *its 'alternative arts' incarnation as a squat* do you mean a squat in those large original workhouse buildings that you have seen off Gordon Road, or the recent Spike Surplus Scheme of the last 10-15 years which was evicted just 3 years ago?

The Spike Surplus Scheme was on the small piece of land between the railway lines which is adjacent to and was part of the old original Spike. It is accessed through the gates between the railway lines on Consort Road. Spike Surplus were evicted because the Council said they wanted to sell the land for housing. The last time I looked it seemed to be a lorry park or some such use. The whole sad saga was an example of bureaucratic myopia missing the real value of what was happening there.

Posted by Huggers 01 March, 2012 09:17

aha Eileen! Now I see my confusion. I had glimpsed 'the spike' surplus scheme with the workhouse behind it and thought they were the same and had access though those gates onto the railway line. Has the workhouse building always been flats then?

Posted by Eileen 01 March, 2012 23:33

Huggers Wrote:
> aha Eileen! Now I see my confusion. I had glimpsed
> 'the spike' surplus scheme with the workhouse
> behind it and thought they were the same and had
> access though those gates onto the railway line.
> Has the workhouse building always been flats
> then?

Hi Huggers - The workhouse closed as a hostel for the homeless some time in the 1970s/80s. It was then converted into housing after that. I don't know exactly when.

Posted by Eileen 02 March, 2012 00:41

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
> I think it would be wonderful.
>
> On a selfish aside, where will my dentist be
> going? (It's the one right opposite the present
> entrance)

Hi Peckhamgatecrasher - The whole process hasn't really started yet. We hope that the Council will develop a clear and sensitive way to support all the businesses in that immediate area as there will be uncertainties until the plans are settled. Can you come to the meeting and raise this very relevant question? That will be a good way to show there is a community demand for clear and sensitive action for the businesses and their customers.

Posted by Eileen 02 March, 2012 01:32

Otta Wrote:
> Beautiful as it is, do you reckon anyone will
> actually bother using it once it's done? Serious
> question, as I just can't really see myself
> bothering, so have to wonder if it's a bit of a
> waste of money.

We have had hosts of requests and suggestions to use the space for a wide variety of activities. We are developing a business plan for a community company to get a lease from Network Rail. This is a long way off yet as substantial work still needs to be done to complete the restoration. So there is still time to develop the ideas. Our focus for the moment is to wend our way through all the byzantine proccesses to get the space physically restored and accessible from the forecourt without going through the station. We are still working to try to achieve that stage for this summer for some initial temporary use during the Cultural Olympiad.

The next step towards this will be the unbricking of the windows on the ground floor in the tower in the forecourt, to the left of the door into the ticket hall. This will start we hope in the next few weeks, and will reveal the original staircase - see below, and here and here for pictures. This needs cleaning up but is in generally good condition. It needs to be extended by half a flight to bring it into the south east corner of the Old Waiting Room. This is more substantial work. However all permissions have now been granted for this so it will begin sometime soonish. The latest on progress will be reported at the meeting on 14th March.

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/images/2/28/1._Peckham-Rye-Stairwell-13_600.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:02:01:52:25 by Eileen.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 02 March, 2012 08:10

Thanks Eileen. I will try and come. I think what you are doing is fantastic.

Posted by Eileen 03 March, 2012 01:13

Huggers Wrote:
> I have just discovered the Bussey! What an amazing
> space. I had no idea it had a theatre space and a
> cafe!

The Bussey building is huge. See the picture below, and other pictures here (scroll to end of page). It already has over 60 artists studios, as well as the CLF Art Cafe now on three floors, and another theatre company The Last Refuge just taking up a couple of spaces in the Bussey building and next door on the Copeland site between the Son Gallery and the Hannah Barry Gallery (the one storey buildings in front of the Bussey in the picture). There are a number of other embryonic projects developing. This is a commercial space so there is a turnover on the site, and a lot of potential space to accommodate new ventures.

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/images/thumb/9/90/Bussey_Building_from_south.jpg/450px-Bussey_Building_from_south.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:03:01:15:31 by Eileen.

Posted by ibilly99 03 March, 2012 09:02

Townleygreen Wrote:
> That photo of the Waiting Room is incredible - it
> is so BIG - just wow. Who would brick this up?

The same generation who destroyed the old Euston station....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/24/article-1215583-068FFD8D000005DC-990_634x393.jpg

Posted by Eileen 04 March, 2012 16:38

DJKillaQueen Wrote:
> The view from the top of the Bussey is great too.

Yes it is a great view. It is two floors higher than the multi storey car park so even better than the excellent view from there during the summer Bold Tendencies exhibition and Frank’s café. Since we started campaigning in 2006 to save the whole site from demolition, to be locked up as a secure transport depot, we have had some enjoyable and memorable events in the summer on the roof. Here below is a picture from one of the earliest in 2007, and more here and here

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/images/thumb/4/40/CLF_Weekender%2C_Aug_07_3.jpg/400px-CLF_Weekender%2C_Aug_07_3.jpg

Posted by ibilly99 04 March, 2012 20:43

Some of us remember the Richard Roger's vision for Peckham back in 1990 which was going to transform the area [www.cnplus.co.uk]

Posted by ontheedge 04 March, 2012 22:27

Fantastic work you're doing,it has been sad to see some buildings go in my time in the area such as Austins &The Heaton Arms which I always thought was a beautiful building.

Posted by Eileen 05 March, 2012 00:52

ontheedge Wrote:
> Fantastic work you're doing,it has been sad to see
> some buildings go in my time in the area such as
> Austins &The Heaton Arms which I always thought
> was a beautiful building.

yes I agree on these two. I really miss Austin's - my house is full of furniture from there in the 1970s. It was such a treat to go in every time, climbing higher after wandering through each floor, getting nearer the ones I could afford at the top, everything always so interesting! If it had remained just a few more years it probably would have done a roaring trade with the changed demographics in this whole area.

Posted by skyblue 07 March, 2012 20:03

Eileen you are doing amazing things. Did you read that the new York times has said Peckham is London's 'cool kid hide out'. The piece in last Fridays evening standard about shoreditch mentioned Peckham too. Rye lane is in need of a rework- the train station square should help massively and the east london line will too ( as an aside I think that the number of bookmakers in any area should be limited. The hope pub on rye lane turning into a bookies was terrible.)

Posted by ibilly99 07 March, 2012 20:49

Good luck but Peckham being the new Shoreditch is stretching reality somewhat - however nothing ventured nothing gained - if they had kept the Canal basin we wouyld be onto a winner

http://www.netxposure.net/DesktopModules/PortalStore/Files/StoreImages/1/PackageImages/London_PeckhamCanal_369-385.gif

Posted by skyblue 07 March, 2012 21:54

Ibilly99. I agree re shoreditch. Your photo is wonderful. It is awful how peckham has been ignored. Does any know what is going to happen to the eagle wharf old whiten timber site? Would be an excellent community arts space.

Posted by ibilly99 07 March, 2012 22:18

Posted by Eileen 07 March, 2012 23:00

skyblue Wrote:
> Ibilly99. I agree re shoreditch. Your photo is
> wonderful. It is awful how peckham has been
> ignored. Does any know what is going to happen to
> the eagle wharf old whiten timber site? Would be
> an excellent community arts space.

Hi Skyblue - this is just the kind of question which will get some form of answer at the exhibition from 4pm before the meeting at 7pm on 14th March, or if there is time during the meeting. Whitten Timber’s old site is in the PNAAP (Area Action Plan) now out for formal consultation and there will be a council officer there to talk to people about all those details and with much material from the PNAAP.

I do encourage anyone who has any questions about the planning of individual sites or any policy matters about the future of Peckham to try to come to the exhibition as it is a rare chance to talk to officers about such things. I will be there and will be happy to talk also about the history of several sites in the town centre that I have been personally involved with over the last 35 years, including that one...

Posted by Eileen 07 March, 2012 23:15

skyblue Wrote:
> Eileen you are doing amazing things. Did you read
> that the new York times has said Peckham is
> London's 'cool kid hide out'. The piece in last
> Fridays evening standard about shoreditch
> mentioned Peckham too. Rye lane is in need of a
> rework- the train station square should help
> massively and the east london line will too ( as
> an aside I think that the number of bookmakers in
> any area should be limited. The hope pub on rye
> lane turning into a bookies was terrible.)

Thanks for this. Do you have a web link for the New York Times article? It would be great to get that for the website.

I agree so much about the bookmakers. They need to be controlled. People are trying to raise this up the political agenda - our own Lane ward councillor Rowenna Davis being one of them, see here. All of us who want to stop the gambling industry giants ruining peoples' lives, and not paying their fair share of tax to pay for the damaging consequences of their deadly product, I hope you will support the campaign.

Posted by Eileen 08 March, 2012 00:02

ibilly99 Wrote:
> Good luck but Peckham being the new Shoreditch is
> stretching reality somewhat - however nothing
> ventured nothing gained - if they had kept the
> Canal basin we wouyld be onto a winner
>
I was told long ago that the canal got filled in in 1972 - just the year before I came to Peckham, and 3 years before the Peckham Society was started. The Peckham Society was born out of a campaign to stop the demolition of Clifton Crescent the wonderful terrace off Asylum Road that you can see from the rail line. It was the residents around there that saved it and started the Peckham Society.

I was recruited just after that in 1975 and got sucked into all this local activity... My baptism of fire was in the 5 year campaign through the Peckham Action Group (PAG) 1977 - 1982 (PAG set up by the Peckham Society) against the demolition of the whole of the north side of Peckham High St. I have often thought that maybe the canal wouldn’t have been filled in if the Peckham Society had been started a few years earlier.

It was PAG that first suggested that the green walkway, which by then existed in place of the canal, was opened up into the High St for a continuous walk. The path to that was blocked at that time by the then location of part of Whitten's timber and the whole of Abbey Rose builders’ merchants. Abbey Rose was relocated to Consort Road, and Whitten’s moved to the side and extended their business on the old Eagle Wharf site, now recently demolished.

Posted by skyblue 08 March, 2012 09:04

Hi Eileen there is a link to the article on the Peckham Page of the south central forum - which I have only recently discovered. I will try to come along on the 14th and I also fully support the campaign to control the numbers bookmakers. (The article mentions the gowlett as a great pub too). A thought re empty shops instead of horrid hoardings- I saw in Margate recently that local art students had created great designs - certainly lifted the streets that were suffering in the downturn. Could help tidy up here too?

Posted by taper 08 March, 2012 09:58

Here's the link

[www.nytimes.com]

Dalston is a better analog for the way Peckaham is going. Rough as hell, mixed population, lots of young arty types; and all the better for it.

Posted by ibilly99 08 March, 2012 21:16

If Peckhma goes upmarket which is the next up and coming sh&thole to replace it ?

Posted by Eileen 10 March, 2012 00:16

ibilly99 Wrote:
> If Peckhma goes upmarket which is the next up and
> coming sh&thole to replace it ?

With Peckham's very mixed housing tenure, it's not likely that 'Peckham' will go up market. We have a great opportunity to keep our mixed demographics and improve the quality of our collective public spaces for the benefit of us all, haven't we?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:10:00:17:39 by Eileen.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum