More Grand Designs? (Lounged)

Katy Tonbridge

Kevin McCloud is misery?

Every project he looks at he uses the same format

1. Smugly looks at plans.

2. Commenting on negative aspect of plans.

3. Add a little doom and gloom

4. Goes on to building site and makes a few irrelevant observations.

5. Adds a little more doom and gloom.

6. Cut to Problems

7. Add more doom and gloom.

8. Revisit building site? more sly negative comments.

9. Review of plans and adds his perceived negative views.

10. Commenting on how the project might actually be just about ok..

11. Visit near finished project and mince around.

12. Comment and gloss over how some issues made it a tough build ?no shit?

13. End the show on a Negative note?

He?s a complete arsehole.

I avoid everything he?s in because he?s a mincing twat who makes the whole process appear to be even more difficult and awkward that it needs to be.

I come away thinking I?ve wasted 40 mins and learnt nothing.

We all know building is problematic.

Would be good to be shown solutions and details.

But Noooooooo we are loaded up with dooooommmmm?

It?s TV for idiots.

Having watched an equivalent French program whilst working in Paris.

It confirmed my already solid view he and his namby pamby negative programs are complete TV garbage.

I agree fazer, and if the female of the partnership is assertive strong and knows what she wants, he makes snide comments to male partner and often to camera about how this could be a problem, yet the last shot is of the house done and beautiful and seemingly so 'despite' her. At a Grand Designs show at Excel last year there was a discussion about modern kitchens with the guys from Poggenpohl and other companies and him on the panel. Now who spends most time in the kitchens? Mostly women. Not one woman on that panel. Hurts me to think he's sexist but I fear it is so. Yet I love the programme because I love watching imagination and passion and architecture at work.

It is no problem doing a grand design when money is not an issue. However, I think it would be much more useful, relevant and insipiring for the majority of viewers if there was a "grand designs on a shoestring" ....

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not one woman on that panel.

I though he was openly homosexual?

I could be wrong, maybe he?s still in the closet or he?s Heterosexual?

Maybe that's why?

rowerdk Wrote:

> "grand designs

> on a shoestring" ....

That might be a little dull. Maybe "grand designs without McCloud"

The French program I watched was full of ideas along with alternative ways to either arrange layout material pros and cons with alternatives to everything from roofing tiles to sliding doors and interesting processes for finishes it even ran to undergound garages with lifting mechanisims it was a proper program.

Not a load of waffle and padding. Altough that might have had a techinical piece I didn?t see ;)

There is only one thing ?grand? about grand designs and that?s McCloud.

Pompously grand?.

99% Garbage.

Edit to add... I have 100% no issue with his sexuality if he is gay.

But it might be why he appears to counter the wife's views...

Fazer. "Mincing"? Suggesting he avoids the company of women because he's "openly homosexual" or maybe (despite your sharp observations) "in the closet"? Bothering to edit to say "I have 100% no issue with his sexuality if he is gay.

But it might be why he appears to counter the wife's views..."

What a chump. He might be disparaging towards women or discriminate against them but I don't think you can blame his sexuality for that, any more than I can blame your clear homophobia (however you edit it) on your apparent lack of intellect. Or is just that your intellect is in the closet?

What monniemae said.

Also, come on people, you've watched television. I love the way Kevin McCloud waxes lyrical about how life affirming great architecture is when he loves a project, but you know he'll have producers screaming "where's the jeopardy?" in his ear.

He has to set up the potential pitfalls to build a sense of anticipation. Maybe the French dig schadenfreude less than us, but you only have to take the most cursory glance at our tabloids to see how much we love failure. You can't blame him for giving us what we crave.

Obviously, when I say "we", I mean the Great British public - not us intellectually discerning EDFers.

I like Grand Designs.

Who cares if he (or the producers) try to make it a bit more dramatic by playing up the matrimonial friction, or exaggerating a few pitfalls. Lighten up. How anyone can watch the show and deduce that the guy is some kind of misogynist is beyond me.

My god, format programming has a format? Wow, who'd have thought it.

Next you'll be telling me researchers for Kitchen Nightmares actually look for restaurants with dirty kitchens. Never I tell you, it's all real that reality tv thing!

I rather like like our kev, I thought his programme about the grand tour and the influence those early holidaymakers had on British architecture was excellent, and I'm rather partial tio GD, especially as I'm in the midst of building my own house.

Oh and wot monniemae and Rosie said. I thought fazer had been banned so was surprised to read yet another of his tiresome trollings on here.

(Adjusts Italian scarf)

I'll admit when this thread started out I worried that it was, well, a trifle workaday, a trifle bland. But as the thread has progressed something rather different has taken shape because what we have here is not just a thread, but rather a...

(pretends to struggle for correct, pre-scripted word)

...remimagining of that relationship between intention and outcome, between human being and human landscape. What started out as one person's vision has become instead a statement about the conversations a community has with itself. And that, of course, is what great thread design, and great thread architecture, is all about. And who wouldn't want some of that?

(Picks up cheque)

Ted Max Wrote:

> (Adjusts Italian scarf)

>

> I'll admit when this thread started out I worried

> that it was, well, a trifle workaday, a trifle

> bland. But as the thread has progressed something

> rather different has taken shape because what we

> have here is not just a thread, but rather a...

> (pretends to struggle for correct, pre-scripted

> word)

> ...remimagining of that relationship between

> intention and outcome, between human being and

> human landscape. What started out as one person's

> vision has become instead a statement about the

> conversations a community has with itself. And

> that, of course, is what great thread design, and

> great thread architecture, is all about. And who

> wouldn't want some of that?

>

> (Picks up cheque)

Brilliant. Are you going to audition?

monniemae Wrote:

> more than I can blame your clear homophobia

> (however you edit it) on your apparent lack of

> intellect. Or is just that your intellect is in

> the closet?

How dare you insult me in that way!

A troll is a bully who direct insults at individuals on line.

UNLIKE YOU I direct NOTHING at any individual on this forum.

Though I may comment on the ODD TV Presenter.

And make frank comments regarding Southwark Council and similarly corrupt / incompetent organisations.

I DO NOT TROLL

You bring into question my intellect when it is clearly yours which is at fault.

Look up what a troll is.

Because you obviously didn?t realise your comment pointed at me is trolling?. And YOU are therefore a Troll.

El Pibe Wrote:

> I thought

> fazer had been banned so was surprised to read yet

> another of his tiresome trollings on here.

READ above.

I expect your ?high? intellect will stop you from retracting you comments??.

As you appear to be oblivious of your disgusting behaviour!