Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

Pippa's Guardians

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageMarmite factory at Camberwell Green
Posted by Muttley 11 February, 2008 22:15

This isn't quite East Dulwich so maybe destined for the lounge, but according to Marmite's website, they opened the country's second marmite factory at Camberwell Green in 1907. Where was it? When did it close? Did they choose Camberwell because you either love it or hate it?

messageRe: Marmite factory at Camberwell Green
Posted by macroban 12 February, 2008 08:53

What a dreadful web-site.

I have no recollection of a Marmite factory at Camberwell Green.

In the 1950s anyone getting the 185 bus from East Dulwich to Victoria would be familiar with the smell of the Marmite factory at Vauxhall.

Could the Camberwell Green factory be an error that has been copied from web-site to web-site?

Posted by Muttley 12 February, 2008 10:09

I think you're right Macroban, it seems Marmite have made a sloppy inaccurate reference to Camberwell Green and lots of other sites have simply copied it verbatim. That's the web for you. Several independent references can be found to Marmite factory in Vauxhall. When did the Vauxhall factory close?

Posted by MelbourneGr 12 February, 2008 12:44

There are several hotspots for a factory in Camberwell. My guess is by the Magistrates court where "Mr Kipling" has his factory now.

Posted by jay66 24 June, 2014 15:31

In case anyone wants to know more about the Marmite factory and finds this old thread...
There was indeed a Marmite factory at 52 Camberwell green - where the surgery is now, on the North side. It is listed as being there in one of the old Kelly's directories.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum