Kitchen *smells goood*

mockney piers

Ok, cooking for my mums tomorrow night, and maybe it's my goddarned cold but I'm just not feeling inspired.

Any one got any signature dishes, old favourites or just bloody good recipes to help point me in the right direction.

Oh, one of them is gluten intolerant so most pasta stuff is out.

I stumbled on this in search of something which has had me chuckling for ages, but hasn't been much help

ps I'll post up some of my specialities in due course

Starter....

Stir fry lots of peppers, onions and garlic (and whatever else takes your fancy)... Add paprika (sp?), lots of herbs, and some hot pepper sauce (or chilli). Grill some slices of halumi (again sp?), and wrap in tortillas.

Was experimenting, and it worked for Mrs Keef ;-)

Starter - Piedemont Roasted Peppers

Cut red pepper in half and de-seed. Keep stalks on. Fill with two quarters of nice (preferably vine ripened) tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and season. Put on some crushed garlic. Optional (but I don't like them ) add a couple of strips of anchovie.

Roast in the oven on medium heat (170ish) for 45 mins. Keep an eye on them though as some ovens vary. Should stary to go soft and caramelised.

My step dad used to serve these in his restaurant but I have just found that Delia does them too! They are really quick, easy and delicious.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/piedmont-roasted-peppers,1314,RC.html

Something I've been doing lately. Not special but rather nice, and dead easy. Season some chicken breasts and brush them with olive oil, roast them in the oven along with some peppers, courgette, onions, maybe a couple of cherry tomatoes. (Also brush the veg with olive oil and chuck some rosemary in there.) Then I do a really simple tomato sauce to go with: small bit of oil, half an onion, small clove garlic (crushed), maybe chuck a dried chilli in if you have one, tin-o-toms, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar. Oh, and praps some spuds to go with too... new spuds or summat, or even a baked spud that you can do in the oven at the same time as everything else.

You could always do it with couscous or bulgar wheat and change the rosemary for perhaps some cumin, ground coriander... mustard seeds... shift down from southern europeanish to northern africanish. Leave out the tom sauce altogether. Might be a bit dry though... harissa? Hmm...

Mr Piers

Why not try Nigella' s clementine cake for pud ?? (no flour it's delicious!)

4-5 clementines

6 eggs

225 g sugar

250 g gnd almonds

1 heapd tspoon baking powder.

cook clems for 2 hours in boiling water. when cool ,cut ,take out pips and liquidise skins and all.

Beat eggs .Add sugar ,almonds,b powder. Add pulped oranges. oven 190. 21cm tin if poss.cook 40 mins or so.

Even better the next day. Serve on own or with cream/ creme fresh.

Enjoy!

William Rose were doing quails for ?1 the other weekend... so I cooked some quails stuffed with onions and pears, with a balsamic, honey and calvados glaze. Quite simple, and very tasty! Beef wellington is always a good one. Or monkfish wrapped in parma ham, with a nice sauce (hollandaise or bearnaise are winners).

I did a meal from Gordan Rs F word. You can find the recipie on line. I think it turned out amazingly and will definately impress and is very little effort. Sadal of lanb with apricots and cumin. Ok its not cheap but if you like lamb and a bit of spice (very mild) you will love it. Also recomend beef wellington or samon en croute all done from same book and great results. I feel like cooking for you I do enjoy it.

Butchers will debone lamb for you.

Good luck

bon apetite

Gambatini piccanti to start - tiger prawns sauteed in chilli-butter (i.e. with chilli powder and a de-seeded chilli), served with chilled melon - great combination of flavours.

Rick Stein's beef stroganoff is lovely - dead easy and looks fantastic - great with rice. You can find it on the BBC - use Polly's link. Use good steak though - Borough market is open tomorrow.

A great sweet is Cocount Creme Brulee - just replace half of the milk in the custard with cocout milk - easy, looks good after the flaming and is a bit unusual.

• 4 weeks later...