Advice for vulnerable and extremely vulnerable tenants

Hello

I was wondering if any solicitor or responsible local landlord or letting agent has any advice to share for vulnerable lodgers and tenants dealing with landlords' requests to allow viewings for possible sale of the house?

I am not extremely vulnerable but I am in the vulnerable category because I have an immune system compromised with chronic disease, not taking immunosuppressant but I normally need to wipe and disinfect everything and sometimes I get bacterial infections from the most innocuous things such as going to the pub or travelling two hours in friends' cars or using other people bathrooms. So far I have been doing well with self isolation and physical distancing and got very kind adjustments at work.

Thank you very much

You might already know this but you should have at least 24 hours' notice prior to a viewing, and if there's inadequate space in the property the agent shouldn't be bringing in too many people (including him/herself) at any one time. You should tell them this if they're not already playing ball. No visitors should be touching anything and all visitors, including the agent should be equipped with hand gel, masks and gloves. If the agent and or visitors don't adhere to the TPO guidance then cease their activities and complain to the relevant parties in writing (that's the landlord, letting and or selling agent). Also, if you feel at all ill then no one should be coming in whatsoever. And I'd advise your vacating just for the few minutes in which a viewing should take place, and asking the agent to provide the relevant supplies for cleaning etc.

https://www.tpos.co.uk/images/documents/guidance/COVID19/Industry_Covid-19_guide.pdf

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice and suggestions very helpful. Also the Propertymark website keeps on publishing useful resources on the issue.

The live in landlord often forgets to tell me (and sometimes forgets even to remind himself actually) when visitors and letting agency ladies arrive so that we are having some distressful and embarrassing situations of rushing out but all in all social distancing is respected and viewings are taking place safely in my case but I have learned of very sad and dreadful situations for people who have lost their jobs and need to sell their houses or are being evicted because of rent arrears.

Perhaps letting agents could charge visitors with baby sitting services? I say so because some young parents bring in toddlers and babies and do not seem aware they create further challenges in terms of Covid-19 risks? At the end of the day if one is serious about moving house in these difficult times for many can pay few quid for a baby sitter.

I am being told there is an opportunity to put forwards with Helen Hayes MP for Dulwich and West Norwood all matters related to letting agents businesses, housing market, planning rules, evictions of tenants and lodgers and so on and so forth on Friday the 14th August in a virtual meeting organised by the Norwood Forum for which more information can be found here in case of further interest:

https://norwoodforum.org/events/norwood-forum-community-conversation-no3-helen-hayes-mp-and-agm

As my landlord says, I have to focus on finding another place where to live (while he keeps on looking for a buyer having already rejected two) so if you have any suitable accommodation to offer to a single person obsessively clean and tidy, almost vegan, cyclist, non smoker, animal and gardening lover... please PM. Thank you very much.

Archived