Home security and burglar alarms

We are wanting to up our security for many reasons. I want to build a high fence around my house with a door instead of the front garden gate. Essentially so visitors ring from the gate and I would buzz them into the front garden from the house whilst I open the front door.

My husband pointed out the high fence actually would allow burglars a could chance to hide safely in the garden whilst breaking in.

I also worry it might indicate to burglars that we have more to secure than other houses (not the case for any intrepid forum burglars!).

So then I suggested we include a motion sensor light.

The police suggest just having a burglar alarm box on your house puts burglars off. So surely my fencing would?

Then my husband wants a smart home security system (Canary) which sends alerts if someone is in your house and films them. But if he is away and I am home alone, this doesn't really help.

The alarm systems that are wired in and phone the police are way above budget.

Can anyone offer and recommendations on security systems or how they have made their homes more secure. Or perhaps give an opinion on high fences around houses or remote doorbells etc?

Personally I wouldn't go for a high fence - we recently had information from the police following a few break ins near us which said having a clear view of your front door was safest, with a sensor light. A high fence won't be a deterrent to a burglar, and will provide them with a nice safe environment to then gain access to your house.

I walk past a house with a fence/entry system like you describe most days, and I do find myself wondering what they have in their house that they're so keen to hide from passers by!

As for alarm boxes - I'm sceptical. The family opposite us were burgled a week or so ago. They have an alarm, yet had their house entered while they were asleep upstairs, and their car stolen.

My take on it is that if they want to get in, they will. In the meantime, make sure you've got good door and window locks, and keep valuables and car keys out of sight/ reach.

Our area was classified as high risk for burglaries by the police and they've given everyone smartwater and stickers to put in our front and back doors indicating that smart water is in use. They said that puts burglars off as then the stolen goods are traceable (of course only if found!).

Locksmith gave security advice when we first moved in. Front and back doors make sure they have those locks at the bottom too - stops door being kicked in which is apparently is quite easy with just a Yale lock at normal height. Window locks on ground floor, apparently an insurance requirement too. They said don't have bushes or other items near doors as they can be used for hiding. Secure side returns with locked gating and that sharp stuff on the top. Accessible back gardens plant things like pyracantha near the perimter(or barbed wire - not the look I'm going for). Also security lights. Secure flat roofs with lighting.

Luckily this house already had a burglar alarm. Gives a sense of security and apparently puts off burglars. Also can part set it, so put it on downstairs at night.

Sounds like Fort Knox here! I guess if people want to break in anywhere they can, just try best to put them off.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your comments. They make sense and I agree. Our house is on a main busy road so I really want the higher fence for privacy also. There's a lot of road pollution too so was going to plant pollution reducing bushes or trees. But now it makes sense to have a clear view of the door. What to do what to do. Maybe I could encase my house in clear electrified Perspex.

• 3 years later...

Archived