How does an Au Pair arrangement work

Hi,

I have two young children and work full-time so never feel I am on top of things. I've heard of an au pair, someone that helps you with your children and household in return for accommodation and food.

I am wondering how does it work in reality and how much money do you typically need to give them for 'pocket money'. Also, how long do they generally stay with you?

Many thanks!

Hi, we had au pairs for years until 2014, when my children deemed themselves too old for an au pair. An au pair lives as part of the family, like having a niece or nephew living with you. Their main priority is the children and they work for up to 25 hours per week. Ours typically started around 8am getting the children breakfasted and ready for school, then walked them to school. When my kids were very little the au pair had use of a car to drive them to nursery. Then, apart from stacking and unstacking the dishwasher, ironing or hanging out some laundry, they were free until school pick up time. They then looked after the kids, took them to any activities booked, and cooked supper for them. They were free from the moment we got home at around 6:30. They would also do a bit of baby sitting for us. if you are wondering what they did during the day; that varied. A few went to language classes, some got jobs (cleaning, baby sitting , bar work). We paid them ?75 per week plus holiday pay and extra pay for extra work = eg looking after the children for extra hours during school holidays or cleaning when our cleaner was off. The au pair lived in in the loft conversion (so slightly separate) with a large room, own bathroom and TV/dvd and laptop, so they could be quite self-sufficient and private when they wanted to be. But we also included them in family day trips and occasionally took them on holiday with us. How long they stayed varied from 9 months to 2 years. I hope that gives you an idea of the whole set up.