Flash Card views for Early Years Learning

Hi All,

I am an Educational consultant and provide support to children with special educational needs. I am also a registered childminder. I am currently in my final year of an MA in Childhood and Youth Studies and as part of research project I am interested in views from parents that have used or currently use flash cards to support learning and development.

your views do not have to be very detailed but just some general reasons as to what encouraged or influenced you to use flash cards and how you think it has supported your child's learning if you stopped using flash cards as a form of learning why? including the age of your child when yo began using flash cards.If you would be happy to take a few minutes to respond please send me a PM. Thank you very much

Char

Hello Char!

I thought I?d reply to your email as I am a childminder and about to start the OU MA in Childhood and Youth Studies.

Flash cards: I used them for a very short while with my son just before he started and a little bit during reception. Only for unusual but common words, eg words that we often use but aren?t spelt phonetically like ?the?. To be honest he found them pretty boring so I only ever got about 5 minutes at a time. With my minded kids Who are mainly under 3s I have homemade painted stones with letters on one side and pictures on the other. They spend ages looking at them and stacking them up, they are more tactile and seem to have been more successful. Maybe I will use flash cards when my kids are older?

Good luck feel free to email back if you have more questions

• 1 month later...

Archived