Thatcher's legacy for women.

During the late 1980's I knew a lot of women who had gained entry to university courses after following Access courses which became more widespread during the '80s. Also there was an expansion of Adult Education especially in Literacy, Numeracy and courses like Book-keeping and women filled the classes in the main. The children were looked after in creches for 2 hours for a 10p fee. If I recall the classes were linked to the Docklands redevelopment at the time and run by Southwark council staff.

SHe was a pioneer, but she appears to have had to sacrifice her role as a mother in order to develop her career. She had balls.

Many women that have historically done well such as Barbara Castle and Teresa May had/have no children.

I ask myself- would I want to be an MP? no . Would I support any women friends that did? yes absolutely- but you def need a loyal partner who is prepared to support you and be the main carer for children.

look at all the women she made part of her cabinet -ok, just the one

what about all the Tory women standing up in parliament today to say a few words? - umm ok, not such a good example either

A pioneer would suggest she took a lot of the pain, but advanced the cause. That doesn't really appear to have happened

Jury is in on Castle and Thatcher as "doing well" but as for Theresa May I'd say it's too early to say she has "done well"

(I'm guessing you mean Theresa the MP, and not Teresa May the glamour model. Ahem)

oops ;) yes, Theresa.

I think Thatcher was a pioneer in that she showed a woman could be PM. SHe showed it was possible.She did sacrifice her role as a mother.

Like many woman of that age, they did not make things any easier for women that followed them. They had the attitude " I have sacrificed a lot to get here, so must you".

I think maybe things are better now, but there is the fear of "tokenism" . I speak as someone offered a job by the ex GLC as a token woman in the early 80's.

It is much more acceptable for women - and men-to work parttime/ flexi, than it was 25 years ago.

Why do you say she sacrificed her role as a mother? I'm not saying you are wrong (I have no idea) I just don't know why you are saying so.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> oops ;) yes, Theresa.

> I think Thatcher was a pioneer in that she showed

> a woman could be PM. SHe showed it was

> possible.She did sacrifice her role as a mother.

> Like many woman of that age, they did not make

> things any easier for women that followed them.

> They had the attitude " I have sacrificed a lot to

> get here, so must you".

> I think maybe things are better now, but there is

> the fear of "tokenism" . I speak as someone

> offered a job by the ex GLC as a token woman in

> the early 80's.

> It is much more acceptable for women - and men-to

> work parttime/ flexi, than it was 25 years ago.

I am basing it on the coverage in the Times which covered it, various tv docu-dramas , and the fact that she was a driven woman, which in my experience means that you cannot give your children as much as other mothers might.

However it is true that there are a whole set of upper middle class/ upper class people who have had nannies who raised children,and they were " brought down " to see their parents just before they went to bed.

Maybe that is fine and I am wrong to say she " sacrificed" her role. Its just my personal opinion. I cannot imagine how it must be to have been brought up like this, anyone out there in East Dulwich brought up like this?

I see. I think its always funny how this discussion is always framed. Successful men make just as many personal sacrifices as concerns family life etc. Many are very torn about it. Marriages fall apart because of it. However, no one ever seems to find it relevant when it comes to men...

Yes, fair enough. I think it ties in though. Those who celebrate her do it because she exudes certain traits often not associated with being maternal. A public woman being assessed by aspects of herself other than her role as mother was actually part of the legacy that I thought was positive. However, I have to think if that's really true given how much press coverage WomanofDulwich has seen on the subject.

Jackson is conveniently forgetting that Thatcherism pretty much underpinned the ideology of the Labour government, 1997-2010, of which she was part of. I don't recall her resigning the Labour whip at any stage.