Do soldiers have a 'right to life'

silverfox

The Supreme Court will examine whether troops in war zones are covered by Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9668783/Court-to-consider-whether-soldiers-have-right-to-life.html

Nobody in their right mind would wish for war. But, if war does break out, are we really going to see a paintball version?

Interesting point, which may well be covered by the agreement between a soldier who signs up and the army.

If we still had national service and conscription then I think the Supreme Court would have a valid argument however as today's soldiers choose a career in the army where death or injury is part of risk then they may not.

I remember a mother a few years ago saying that "he didn't join the army to go to war" after he was killed, and whilst I sympathise with her for her loss, he did enter an agreement with the army to go to war as required by the country. I guess the difference is that the war he was fighting could be seen as unnecessary.

The reality of war and servicemen is that lives will be lost.

Any military commander has a duty to minimise losses but cannot guarantee to any individual serviceman that they will not die in the course of duty.

Santerme can speak with more authority from an Army perspective - but from a Naval perspective and particularly a submariner's perspective the consequence of a bad command decision may the loss of all or most of the crew. In WWII German submariners suffered 80% losses - the highest percentage loss in any of the forces deployed in that conflict. For Great Britain Bomber Command and the Submarine Service experienced close to 50% losses (vastly more lives in the case of Bomber Command - but similar expectation of death / survival).

I recall the preamble to the Infantry Officers Training Manual from Field Marshall Lord Slim..

"You will first put the honour and interests of your country and your Regiment. Next you will put the safety, wellbeing and comfort of your men. And last..last all the time..you will put your own interests, your own safety and your own comfort"

Sadly the MOD fails in many respects to echo these principles, whilst they are the base line for junior officers and company commanders....those remote from the action and with more than a view from the foxhole might have different perspectives.

There is a deeper philosphical discussion to be had here on all killing in war.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Slim was never a Lord as far as I know, Viscount

> and Knight of the Garter he did receive though.

> I know a little about the Field Marshal because my

> Grandfather served under him in Burma.

My fault working from dim and distance memory.

"There is a deeper philosphical discussion to be had here on all killing in war."

I gather human rights watch are trying to ban the use of automated weapons systems. I can kind of see where they're coming from, but short of skynet style fears I would have thought getting robots to do all the fighting sounds like a marvellous plan ;)

I guess the argument is that the more distanced you are from the reality of your crime, the less likely you are to question your moral foundation?

I don't really 'get' weapons protestors - if we assume that those who instigate wars are happy to put people to death for their cause, I don't really know what bleeding heart arguments are likely to persuade them to do it less efficiently, or with an increased chance of losing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...