What to do for the whole day?

yeknomyeknom

We have a little baby which as you know is all consuming at times. Each month my husband takes two days off work. One day he has the little one and I head out, the next day I have the little one and he heads out. Neither of us bring our phones or ipads, just a book to really tune out. Last month I went shopping in town and to the cinema. My husband went to southbank when it was still sunny. Maybe V&A. We are looking for ideas for this month. I'm thinking of copying hubby with southbank but it might not be as nice in the rain. Town was a nightmare and I feel like I wasted my day last time. Any ideas, or areas where you think a whole day could be pleasantly spent would be great.

What a brilliant idea! You and your husband have a pretty good plan to get some extra 'me-time' for each of you.

Really great! Wished we had something similar.

Anyway, I would:

- check all time-out offers

- check Citylit and Morley college for day courses

- get a friend to join you

- go to a talk our tour in the Tate, Portrait Gallery, V&A ...

- autumn day in Richmond Park or a good walk in Beckenham Place park

- a trip to Petersham nurseries (Richmond) and a walk along the Thames

- check out meet-up (online platform for all kinds of interest groups)

- theatre, ballet, cinema matinee

- a book in a great breakfast cafe in town

- walk from Camden along the Regents Chanel to Little Venice

- explore Boroughs of London you don't know well (for me, all of North London)

- avoid shopping, leaves me miserable every time. Especially when I try to treat myself

I'd better stop here. Enjoy yourself!

Wow, I have those days (occasionally) now but my first born is nearly 20!

I guess your lucky your husband can take off two days a month? At the same time you need to have spare time for doing things as a family, I hope.

I remember what luxury it was to have a day shopping, hairdo etc... without having to worry about children!

Cheap alternative to the Sanctuary. http://www.spa-london.org/ironmonger-row-baths/

I went with my mum before the refurbishment, it was a bit scruffy, but now looks very sleek. You can use the hammam and plunge pool then lie on a day bed and read a book and even have a little nap, all for ?25 for three hours. If you go to a woman-only session its lovely, totally relaxing.

OK so maybe it's just me being extra-slothful but if we had that arrangement in our house, then I would ensure that on my husband's day off he was committed to taking the kids out on some wonderful day out from 9.30 - 5pm leaving me blissfully free to spend the entire day at home, in the quiet, all by myself, in my pyjamas, reading the papers, having a snooze on the sofa, maybe a leisurely bath .... that is my idea of perfect free time!

This is another again spa thing http://www.spafinder.co.uk/Spa/48802-The-Porchester-Spa- It's in an amazing building but is run by the local authority so it's all plastic garden-style chairs rather than Sanctuary-style luxury.

A lot of the big hotels also do day access to their spa for about ?25. We went to the Meridian in the old county Hall building once and it was lovely although the massages weren't up to much.

But I think I agree with NorfolkVillas - a day alone at home in pjs sounds most relaxing of all!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm saving the spa ideas for next time when it's cold outside. I had my day yesterday. I went to Southbank. I bought papers and magazines to Pain Quotidien and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Then I walked along the River to BFI where I had a cheeky Buck's Fizz and read my book. I had lunch at Canteen where I spotted Christopher Ecclestone aka Dr Who. Then I crossed over the bridge at Embankment an walked up to Picadilly Wholefoods to get some nice bits and bobs for the weekend. Then got the bus home. It was lovely. My husband spent his day getting a wet shave and hair cut in Dulwich Village then train to London Bridge, then walked to Bread St for lunch, then the Tate and finally Namco Arcades on Southbank.

We know we are lucky to have these days. Any other ideas greatfully received.