Waiting lists for primary schools

Hello

As a lot of people in this forum we didn't get any of the schools on the list for our daughter (luckily have the free school offer but nothing else!)

Anyway I wanted to ask what is everyone's experience of waiting lists. She is 8th for Heber, 6th for Goodrich.

Do you know other years where kids got in being so far down the list?

We may end up opting for the free school in the end but still would like to know if she has any chance for the other two...

Thanks in advance

You can go down a waiting list as well as up. People that didn't originally apply to the school can add themselves to the list and circumstances of those on the list can change. The position you are on a wiaitng list seems to fluctuate frequently and often inexplicably.

Some schools might offer 20+ waiting list places, but being 7th now doesn't mean that you'll be one of those offers. On the other hand, you could go up a list rapidly if the others above you get offred a higher preference.

We're 7th for Goodrich peggoula so I'm hopeful of movement, we must live v close to each other! I am seriously considering the school we were offered in case things don't work out with Goodrich.....Things always have a strange way of working out for the best. Good luck!

Simonthebeaver I was told that you do automatically go onto Lewisham's waiting lists, but only those that are higher up the list than that which you were offered. But they won't tell us where we are on the list until mid May, not sure how they can't but Southwark can. Oh it's such an anxious time hey? Grrr.

You definitely automatically go onto the waiting lists for lewisham schools that you gave as higher priorities than the school you have been offered. All offers are made centrally and the schools have no information or influence on who ismto be offered a place.

Hi all, you go on the waiting list for all schools above that offered from your CAF (or all if you were allocated a school by your LA). If you wish to be added to a waiting list, then you need to contact the admissions department for the LA where the school is situated. All local schools have all places currently allocated except for Harris Free School East Dulwich which still has vacancies. You need to apply directly to Harris for this school as it's not part of the common application process this year. The schools that I think have the shortest waiting lists locally are Southwark Schools Dulwich Wood (formerly Langbourne), Hollydale and St Francesca Cabrini and Lewisham schools, Turnham and Kelvin Grove (late bulge). If you have been allocated a school that's awkward to get to, you will need to contact the LA where these schools are situated to be added to their lists. This does not affect your waiting list positions/outcomes for the other schools you initally applied for,

Renata

Hi Renata, will Harris continue to operate outside the common application process for the duration of this year's admissions process (ie up to 31st August)? Or will vacant spaces be passed back to Southwark admissions to fill at some stage? Thanks.

Renata, is there any chance that the LA have calculated a distance wrong? I am pretty sure they have with us (I can PM you details so I don't bore everyone). Is this something I can call and ask the admissions people or do we need to formally appeal? The appeal process seems very complicated... Thanks in advance.

Hi all again, I have received clarification from Southwark re: applications to Lewisham schools. It is not automatic to go on waiting lists for Lewisham schools. Southwark, however, asks Lewisham that all Southwark residents are put on waiting lists for the schools above the one they have received. This means Southwark residents don't need to do anything re Lewisham schools they have applied for and didn't get allocated (ie it is automatic for Southwark residents). They will need to contact Lewisham if they wish to add their name to any other waiting lists. Lewisham are not releasing any waiting list data until mid-May. I don't know the arrangements for other LAs, you'll need to contact them to find out their cross border arrangements and Lewisham if you're a Lewisham resident.

ALso I've had confirmed if you have been allocated a school that's too inconvenient, far away (or you don't want!), the following local schools have the shortest waiting lists, St Mary Magdalene, (C of E or places on distance), Hollydale (distance), St Francesca Cabrini (Catholic or distance) and Dulwich Wood (distance). If you live in the South Nunhead area, Turnham may be one to try (Lewisham). Adding your name to the lists of one of the above schools, will not have any impact on your waiting list position of other schools.

Renata

Renata, I live in Lewisham borough and have been told by the admissions team that I won't be added to any of the lists unless I put the school on my original application. This is different from Southwark and Lambeth but trying to appeal. We have been allocated a school in Bellingham even though I only live 750m from Kelvin Grove but it wasn't on my list as I was due to move and had to limit my Forest Hill choices to 'just in case'. Do you know if that is correct? Or did I just catch someone on a bad day? Hoping for the latter. Thanks in advance.

Hi Chelsea,

what you have been told is correct for Lewisham. There is however a way around it! What you need to do is contact Lewisham admissions and withdraw your original list of 6 schools. You then submit a new list of 6 schools, including Kelvin Grove as one of those schools. It doesn't need to be your first choice as as in your previous application each school will be considered. If You are not eligible for higher ranked schools than Kelvin Grove, then you would be added onto their waiting list positions (basically going back into the rank order where you are at present.

Southwark residents who wish to be added to the waiting list of a Lewisham school need to follow a similar procedure but via Southwark. Be aware that if you are holding a place at one of schools you have applied for or allocated a local school you will lose this, so this process is not recommended unless you were allocated a school not on your list and it's one you definitely don't want.

Renata

Thanks Renata, I wish we had someone like u in Lewisham to support families this way. We are not applying until next year but I was just wondering can Lewisham residents add themselves to Southwark school waiting lists (if not allocated one of your chosen 6)and how do you do this?

Thank you so much Renata! I second prm's comment as I don't really feel like anyone can answer my questions. I plan to withdraw as you suggest as I can't physically send my daughter to a school in Bellingham as I'm a lone parent with a good network of friends who help me as I travel with work. I would be unable to fulfil my job obligations if I didn't have a network who can help with pick up.

prm - I called Southwark on Thursday and have asked for my daughter to be added to the waiting list for a few schools. It needs to go through Lewisham admission team but it should be done quite easily I'm told from Southwark. I'm a bit weary of Lewisham's process but will continue to chase. I have to say Southwark has been a great help.

Arghhhh! I have just phoned Southwark admissions to find out our position on the waiting list for St John's and Goose Green - our first and second choices but both non-community schools. The dates for releasing these waiting lists have changed AGAIN. Southwark's letter says 22nd April, then was told 30th April, now they say 7th May. The woman at Southwark had no clear explanation for the constant change in dates other than that it was "delayed". So frustrating and so maddeningly arbitrary, given that the schools have told me they have passed their waiting lists back to Southwark to manage centrally, and Southwark have released their waiting lists for community schools. Renata or James, any way you can chase this please?