Student Child Observation - Please Help!

kthingy

Hello East Dulwich Forum!

I am a student studying for a Masters in Social Work (at the University of East London and the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust) and I am hoping to find a lovely family in london that will help me to complete a child observation for my human growth and development module.

I need to observe a child under 5 years old who is someone I don't know or have contact with so that my observations can be unbiased while also allowing me to develop my role as an observer, rather than friend or colleague. The child I observe also needs to be not known to have special needs or a connection with social services in order to provide me with a glimpse into ordinary early years child development.

The observation would only take place for one hour a week for 12 weeks starting in February, preferably at the same time and place. The setting can be wherever you and/or your child are more comfortable - this could be at home or as part of a group in nursery or day care. I would take notes after this session and use these notes (without passing on any confidential information) in seminars and as part of a reflective essay at the end the module.

I hold a current enhanced CRB/DBS as part of my course and have signed up to the update service so it would be easy to check my credentials.

Please message me for more details!

All the best,

Kirsty

I also had to do a 12 week child development study and went to a council nursery in Camberwell. With the large number of nurseries around it should not be a problem . Alternately the nursery/reception class of a primary school.

I found that with my tutor from Goldsmith's college letter explaining the reason behind the observations, and with meeting the manager of the nursery first, it was reasonably straight forward. However I did write to several nurseries first enclosing a copy of the tutor's letter. I was told at the beginning of the course in Sept that in the spring term we would need to have a place ready to start our observation studies.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...