Local private schools logistics

Ole

Considering taking child to private school (not decided on a specific one), but before diving in, wondering:

1/ outside the usual intake points- how realistic is it to get a place? Has it ever happened to anybody on the forum?

2/ if you don't live walking distance to school (say 30 mins away or less), and you work, how do you manage pick up/ drop off? This would be for primary.

Thank you for any tips shared!

There are chance places available. A friend of mine got one. No idea if it's a regular occurrence.

For pick ups and drop offs, working parents have nannies or childminders (including school staff in the early years if school allows it.) Some schools also do breakfast clubs and most do after school clubs.

It's not easy. We were at Ducks for a year and hubby was always late for work... We're now at the state school opposite our house and it's so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not easy - whether its private or state.. you still have the same issues..

my wife eventually had to quit work as it financially made no sense vs the cost of a nanny and we didn't want an au pair staying with us - although a much cheaper option and one that many of my friends do use

I only know about Oakfield next to West Dulwich station. They have breakfast club starting at 7:45am (moved forward from 8am so that parents could easily catch the 8:05 into Victoria) and after school club running to 6pm (available on a regular and ad hoc basis). There are lots of families with both parents working so it's quite usual to see nannies and childminders at the gates. The school is very supportive of working parents eg good coverage of holiday clubs- normally from Upper Foundation (Reception year) onwards but also available for Lower Foundation pupils (rising 4yr olds) if they have older siblings attending the holiday clubs too.

In terms of transport to school, pupils arrive by a variety of means; driven (with parents parking in Belair Park), by train to West Dulwich (eg from Beckenham), walking if local, by bus (P13 etc)

As Monkey said, there are chance places available outwith the usual entry points. I've heard of instances for all the Dulwich schools (due to families moving out of London, change in financial circumstances etc.) so it's not super unusual.

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/schools/154601/oakfield-preparatory-school/JZBTR75#tab_review

Good luck!

A couple of friends of mine opted for private schools - the only drawbacks they felt was that private schools had longer holidays than state, school trips are more expensive, after school clubs added onto price. Cost of meals much higher.

Both friends had daughters - one is now a lawyer. The other is very bright and goes to a Harris school