Forum Sponsors

www.inshutters.co.uk
xxxx
All Round Renovation

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
messageRe: Secondary school allocation
Posted by samstopit 09 March, 2018 21:53

what do you do if you've opted out of child benefit?

Posted by bodsier 10 March, 2018 08:05

It should say on the letter...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2018:03:10:08:06:17 by bodsier.

Posted by Angelina 10 March, 2018 08:20

I would call the Child Benefit Office and ask them for a letter that says you opt out - or call the school and ask them.
There may not be much time to get the documentation in order so I'd call them first thing on Monday.

If anyone has concrete evidence as they absolutely know, then hopefully they can reply but failing that I would get on it

Posted by redjam 10 March, 2018 09:59

Phone HMRC on 0300 200 3100. Explain you need an up-to-date letter confirming you've opted out (I had an old one but I contacted Charter ED and apparently you need one from this year). I got mine within 48 hours of phoning, though they said it might take up to 2 weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2018:03:10:09:59:52 by redjam.

Posted by Wildcherry 11 March, 2018 08:48

Hi my daughter is in the 40s on one of the 3 bands waiting lists for Kingsdale Foundation- I've emailed the school to ask how many kids got offered a place on the waiting lists last year but no reply yet. I'm trying to manage expectations here- Houseoflego mentions being 65th on a waiting list last year and being offered a place the last day of the summer hols- was this from a waiting lists for scholarships? My daughter didn't get offered one of these. Thanks for any help. My daughter is not keen on the 5th choice she got offered- I'm sure it could be fine as a lot of good friends are going but she's still upset. I don't want to give her false hope. We don't have any grounds for an appeal. Any advice, information gratefully received.

Posted by hpsaucey 11 March, 2018 09:20

A couple of years ago for us, but I managed my son’s expectations by making sure he knew the schools on our list were preferences not choices. The online form uses ‘preferences’. We talked through the six we listed to make sure he understood that he could end up at any of them, them crossed our fingers and hoped ...

Posted by Wildcherry 11 March, 2018 09:33

That's a good point hpsaucey about them being preferences rather than choices. I've afraid I've fallen into thinking it was a choice. As a friend says this is ' a first world' problem i.e. having a number of good enough, 'free' schools all relatively nearby. We put down no.5 which we've now been offered more as a space filler than a full hearted preference as we were running out of schools we felt enthusiastic about. I'm still left wondering if it's worth waiting it out for Kingsdale being in the 40s on a banded waiting list (no scholarship).....

Posted by hpsaucey 11 March, 2018 09:49

Good luck Wildcherry with the places shakedown! You’re right about the local schools. I remember feeling hearteningly positive about most of the ones we looked at. Like you we did space filling rather than risk unknown schools.

HP

Posted by Houseoflego 11 March, 2018 21:06

Hi wildcherry,

We were on the normal list, not a scholarship list.

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi my daughter is in the 40s on one of the 3 bands
> waiting lists for Kingsdale Foundation- I've
> emailed the school to ask how many kids got
> offered a place on the waiting lists last year but
> no reply yet. I'm trying to manage expectations
> here- Houseoflego mentions being 65th on a waiting
> list last year and being offered a place the last
> day of the summer hols- was this from a waiting
> lists for scholarships? My daughter didn't get
> offered one of these. Thanks for any help. My
> daughter is not keen on the 5th choice she got
> offered- I'm sure it could be fine as a lot of
> good friends are going but she's still upset. I
> don't want to give her false hope. We don't have
> any grounds for an appeal. Any advice, information
> gratefully received.

Posted by savage 12 March, 2018 18:26

Hi Wildcherry,

My son was number 100 within his band last year on offer day & was offered a place on the second day of school starting. Between offer day & the start of the summer holidays he moved up the list by about 20 places. By the middle of the holidays he was around 50. Kingsdale wrote to everybody on the list in August asking if we wanted to remain. Once the results of the mailing were confirmed, my son was at number 7 (day before school started) & the rest is history.

I know that each year is different, but I think you will have a very good chance of getting in.

Good luck!

Posted by flocker spotter 12 March, 2018 19:45

How sensible of Kingsdale to write to the waiting list. I am sure that was really reassuring for you to know how close your child was to the top of the list once those no longer requiring a place were wheedled out.

Posted by Wildcherry 13 March, 2018 20:21

Thank you Savage for taking the time to pass on your experience and yes that is a good idea writing to the waiting list. Now it's down to luck and I'm very aware it must be hard for people lower down on the waiting list to decide what's best to do.

Posted by Renata Hamvas 13 March, 2018 22:46

Hi all. Until 1st September each year Southwark deals with the waiting lists for year 7 entry. After this they pass to the schools to administer. As by them children have attended induction days and uniforms have been bought, many parents decide to stick with the school offer they have. It's for this reason that Kingsdale and some other schools contact parents at this point. Be aware that you need to check with the schools after 1st September how they administer their lists, for example, you may need to opt in to the waiting list and re opt in each academic year.
Renata

Posted by comomum 17 March, 2018 15:20

Does anyone know if and when Kingsdale let parents know about movement on their waiting lists now that the deadline for accepting or declining places has passed? Or do I need to get in touch with them to find out?

Posted by redjam 17 March, 2018 15:54

I believe you need to phone the individual schools direct to find out where you are on the waiting list (not sure about outside Southwark, but I think for the ones within Southwark you do). I've heard it's also worth keeping on phoning every so often to check progress and make sure the school knows you still want the place - right through the summer if necessary. As people have said upthread, it changes right up to the last minute. Good luck.

Posted by Wildcherry 29 April, 2018 07:06

Hi comomum I contacted Kingsdale by email about waiting list position update and got an email about a week later. I've made it clear I want to remain on the list and imagine the next change in position will be in the summer when people are asked by Kingsdale if they want to remain on the waiting lists. We have moved from 44 in March to 25 in April.

Posted by Sg123 March 01, 11:21PM

Hi Tulip, I know this thread was from last year but today I find myself in a very similar situation to yourself & I was wondering what your outcome was if that's ok? Did your child get a place via the scholarship waiting list in the end? Today we found out my son got his 2nd choice school (which is great I know) but he has always and still so has his heart set on his 1st choice of Kingsdale, especially as he was offered the full music scholarship - his hopes were so high! I will call the school / Southwark too on Monday to find out where we are rank wise on the list. I was just very curious to see what happened in the end for you / others in this situation? Many thanks - any advice is much appreciated!

Posted by Wildcherry March 02, 06:51AM

Hello,
Last year my daughter was 44 on Kingsdale waiting list. It was her 1st choice and she did not have a scholorship. She was offered a place around 10 days before the start of term in September. The school kept us regularly informed of movement on the waiting list by email. I was advised to still accept the official offer which in our case was Norwood (friends have gone here and are very happy by the way). There is a lot of movement with Kingsdale waiting lists in our experience. Wishing you well in all of this - its not easy navigating. I hope it all works out for you somehow.

Posted by Ellebell March 05, 12:03PM

Hello SG123 we are in the same position and I'd also be interested to know from Tulip as well. We are 38th on the Scholarship list for Kingsdale and it'd be interesting to hear if anyone got in on from the Scholarship wait list and what number they were.
Thanks!

Posted by Sg123 March 05, 01:37PM

Hi Wildcherry many thanks for your reply - we're waiting to hear where he is on the banding & scholarship waiting lists and we'll keep our fingers crossed. Such a rollercoaster ride, that's for sure!

Posted by Sg123 March 05, 10:04PM

Ah hi Ellebell, yes it'd be interesting to know experiences from last year - I know quite a few people in our boat who will be hoping for a place through either scholarship and or banding waiting lists - wishing you all the best!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum