Advice -Nanny and school holidays

Zo_Hop

Hi

I am self employed and work variable hours. I don't get paid when I don't work and I don't get holiday pay.

I'm hoping to employ a lovely nanny to help with before and a after school a few times a week. I've had a nanny before when my kids were younger but now they are both in school I'm unsure what to do during school holidays. The likelihood is that I will take some time off and ask the nanny to do some childcare and use some holiday clubs perhaps.

Therefore the hours will vary in school holidays. Does anyone have experience of a similar situation and how did you word this not he contract and how did this work with the payroll company?

Thanks.

We have a nanny who works different hours in the school holidays compared with during term time. The payroll company I use were completely un-phased by this so it can?t be that unusual. The part I found most complicated was working out holiday allowance - prorata-ing the bank holidays etc - but again my payroll co advised on that.

I suspect the harder part is finding someone who?s willing to work in a variable pattern which matches yours. Hope you get lucky!

Koru Kids is an agency providing students for after school care - not sure about mornings - they may not so mornings but being students would generally not expect holiday hours. (They are paid their legal holiday entitlement though, via the agency).

Otherwise if you agree directly with a Nanny to work term time only you can include wording in the contract that they are only employed for work in term time, and that their holiday entitlement is to be taken by in school holidays.