Cat owners: will a cat deter mice?

Dani64

Hello,

We have a very minor but ongoing presence of mice in our house. We see the occasional dropping in the suspect areas and even more rarely hear a mouse scratching but after living in New York where the mice are confident jumping onto your lap, I have PTSD.

We have had multiple "mouse proofings" but they just keep coming back. Our house is old and they eventually find their way in. Will a cat deter the mice from coming in, in your experience? I know there's a risk of the cat bringing me dead mice, but I'm wondering whether cat owners find having a cat in the house generally prevents mice from wanting to explore.

Thanks

Farah

Cat scent might help I suppose. Have you got a friend who could bring their cat round for a visit?

As for a resident cat, I think it depends on the cat - one cat owner I met said mice freely walked across their cat's line of sight as she had no interest in chasing them. I think my housecat would be more of a huntress if she got the opportunity, though.

Have you thought of ultrasonic deterrents that you plug in? As long as there are no pet rodents nearby (hamsters, gerbils ... mice etc.) it will discourage rodents, ants etc. Peppermint oil spray or soaked cotton balls placed in strategic spots can also be quite effective I've found as the mice don't like the smell.

In our experience the answer is that a cat is brillant for getting rid of mice. We suffered with mice for years in East Dulwich and the exteminator said that the only thing that would stop them would be a cat. (like you we didn't have an infestation where they set up nests in your home but they just kept getting in as it's an old house). That convinced my partner who really wasn't keen on the idea. We went to Battersea Cats home and got a youngish (1.5 year old) friendly black cat.

We have NOT LOOKED back! We don't have a mouse problem because she is a brilliant mouser. She is absoluetly 'on it' everytime a mouse dares to creep in but I do think that if they are bright, they do avoid coming in but that said, they still sneak in but now they are dealt with straight away by the cat. It is hard when she plays with them before she kills them but we are so relieved not to have to be constantly dealing with poison or traps ... both of which must lead to a slower and more painful death. One downside is that she does occassionally kill birds and bring them in. That is horrible. But it is not very often.

I have heard that you are better off getting a female cat... and that the neutured males just can't be bothered with mousing whereas netured females are good mousers. I don't know if that's an urban myth. I also think the fact our cat is a relatively young cat helps - still pretty lively and up for a challenge! And my partner quite likes having a cat about the place now and it's good for my son to have a pet so win-win all around.

I had a neutered male cat who was a great mouser. If there was one in the house, which was rare, then he got it. A neutered female I had wasn't interested. Impossible to know if your cat will be a good mouser, but getting one from a farm background would be a good idea.

No cat now, and I've had on and off again mice problems. With an old Victorian house they can come in from next door by way of the floorboards.

A friend of mine lives in an old farmhouse out in the country, has indoor and outdoor barn cats and still has a mouse problem in her house. She hears them in the walls!

• 2 weeks later...