Talk to me about drones

edanna

My 8 year old daughter has written to Father Christmas asking for a drone with a camera. It?s not something I would ever buy normally and I think if we do buy one it will not meet her expectations. I?ve only been looking at the cheaper price end and am expecting the cheap drones to be flimsy and easy to lose or break. The reviews seem to be either 5 stars (fake?) or 1 star. But Father Christmas always brings what you ask for because he can make any toy, she says! What would you do in this situation? And have you bought a drone that has lived up to expectations?

We have had 2, neither with camera, both very short lived. One quite expensive but fatally damaged in collision with tree on first outing. They are hard to control and it was too hard to get my son (also 8 at the time) to spend time practicing to learn how to work it properly. He's just received two more for his birthday, which have survived the first 48 hours. The rotor blades are quite well protected and son is 1 year more sensible. I wouldn't highly recommend.

I would suggest getting her an age appropriate flying toy. Open up her imagination and get her capable of flying first. Of course she's heard of drones but probably doesn't know what alternatives there are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=remote+controlled+flying+toy&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_1wa8rmiea2_e&adgrpid=57901963903&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=294859420722&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4471935094287750844&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045888&hvtargid=kwd-470518989487

Father Christmas always knows best and if he gave every little child that wanted a car a real car, well, he makes toys - right!

I have to come back on my response. Now at 9 both dexterity and patience are much improved in my son. He's still had the new ones less than a week but is very enthusiastic about them (tidying, dressing, teeth all done quick sharp in the morning so he can play). And they have survived (indoors) so far. He's mastering how to manoeuvre them.