Forum Sponsors

www.inshutters.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Jamma May 17, 04:15PM

Hi Renata,
Couple of things. "Every applicant being offered a secondary place in Southwark" doesn't really mean anything. For example my daughter (and many of her classmates) were offered an inappropriate school. If you can make sure every applicant is offered a secondary place at one of the six schools they applied for, that would be something to shout about.
Also what do you know of what Monkey says about Charter ED not expanding as quickly as anticipated. I too have heard there's problems with the hospital site that might inhibit expansion. If so that's going to be a problem, and perhaps a shock to parents hoping to get a place at Charter ED in a few years time. Would be good to know asap if there's gong to be any change to the admissions there.
Thanks.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Renata Hamvas May 17, 04:46PM

Hi Jamma,
All places are offered in accordance with the school's admissions criteria. Of those offered a place at a school they didn't apply for, typically most haven't applied for 6 schools but 2 or 3. If you live close to the Borough boundaries, you should be looking at schools outside Southwark too eg Forest Hill Boys, Sydenham Girls, Haberdashers Askes etc as you may fit the criteria of those schools on distance. What do you mean by an inappropriate school, eg were you offered a faith school when you wanted a secular school? Some schools are more popular than others, it is not possible to offer parents school places for their children simply because they want school X, they need to fulfill the criteria for school X. Charter ED initially had a PAN of 120 places. The PAN is currently 180 for this and next year. The second building phase is not due to be completed until Sept 2022; the final planned intake is 240.

You don't say if you have now been offered one of the schools that you originally applied for from a waiting list. It is still early days yet in terms of waiting lists, they move right up until September. If you want me to look at your application and suggest other waiting lists you could add your child's name to, please email me with where you live, where you have applied to and where you were offered.
Renata

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Renata Hamvas May 17, 04:52PM

Southwark do check on people. If you are found to be renting a property close to a school and owning a property elsewhere further from the school and Southwark finds out, you will loose that place. If someone genuinely moves home, perhaps with a particular school in mind, that does not break any rules in terms of school admissions.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Renata Hamvas May 17, 04:59PM

If you don't get one of your preferred schools, Southwark looks which schools have spaces and then allocates spaces there by distance and looking what other type of schools a parent has applied for eg single sex or mixed, faith or secular. It is definitely good to apply for 6 schools and look where you may have got in the previous year for guidance (you need to be aware however that last place distances can change and do look over borough boundaries eg Deptford Green). With schools that operate a lottery system you can live next door to the school and you will have no advantage over the applicant who lives 10 miles away. It would make it fairer for all schools to operate a similar admission system, but as all the secondary schools in Southwark are out of LA control, we can't do anything about this.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Renata Hamvas May 17, 05:02PM

700 children in London were left without a secondary school place on Offer Day.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Monkey May 17, 05:24PM

Thank you, Renata. As always you are the one engaging with us.

I can't speak for Jamma but I'd consider a school inappropriate if it's far away and outside my immediate area, has really poor results or severe discipline problems. This definition will be different from the council's.

- How come Southwark ended up with only academies when Lewisham managed to hang onto their secondary schools?

-Also has Kingsdale been approached to expand their intake to the benefit of Southwark children as floated in the School Places Strategy Meeting dated October 2017?

- In the same meeting, the need for a secondary on the Old Kent Road was highlighted with a certain sense of urgency. I don't think this is being built. What effect is that going to have on other schools?

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by motorbird83 May 18, 07:59PM

Discipline issues and poor results of a school are a reason to raise standards not for changing admission arrangements, surely.

How far are away are the schools that people are concerned about?

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Monkey May 18, 09:13PM

Deptford Green I consider too far for an 11-year-old girl to travel to on her own every day. Iíve had a few incidents - letís call them that - as a teenager, so very aware of safety issues.

Peckham Academy not too far but I know of the issues they are facing from hubby who was a teacher and a friend whose son attended. Not an option.

Completely agree with you on the need to raise standards. Unfortunately I donít have the luxury of time and when I see schools where the brightest end up with negative progress 8 scores, this is just not somewhere where I want to send my daughter.

But yes we need to raise standards in all schools. I volunteer at a primary school so well aware of the issue.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Abi1 May 19, 12:14AM

Hi Monkey, this is such an awful, stressful time, but I donít think there is a parent in the land who wouldnít want their child to go to an Ďappropriateí school (Your words - they make me cringe) - with great grades, and on their doorstep. Sadly most of us canít have it that way. Some years ago my then 4 year old was given a school 3 miles away when we were just 350 metres away from Fairlawn and siblings miles further away got in at our expense. It was an undersubscribed school, not one of my choices and really hard to get to. But such is life. My child thrived. Have confidence in your child, play the long list on the waiting lists like everyone else and spare your mental health. There are far worse things happen at sea. You have a school that is in borough and very near by. All our kids are special and deserve the best. But none of our kids deserve special treatment. Itís also noteworthy that you talk about Southwark schools for Southwark kids and yet are keen to get your child into Sydenham girls, a Lewisham school.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Monkey May 19, 06:38AM

Welcome to the Forum Abi1.

I donít want Southwark schools for Southwark children, iím merely asking the council about its plans to use Kingsdale to provide extra places locally. These are the words of the council, not mines. Kingsdale recruits far and wide using a Byzantine system, while Sydenham School recruits by distance.

I donít want special treatment for my child, never have, never will. Indeed my favourite school is a local school which a lot of people donít put on their



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was may 19, 08:15am by Monkey.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Monkey May 19, 08:17AM

Monkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to the Forum Abi1.
>
> I donít want Southwark schools for Southwark
> children, iím merely asking the council about its
> plans to use Kingsdale to provide extra places
> locally. These are the words of the council, not
> mines. Kingsdale recruits far and wide using a
> Byzantine system, while Sydenham School recruits
> by distance.
>
> I donít want special treatment for my child,
> never have, never will. Indeed my favourite school
> is a local school which a lot of people donít put
> on their list.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by hoonaloona May 19, 09:39AM

Hi Monkey,
Applying for secondary is a stressful time. I just wanted to mention a few points...

1. You say Deptford Green is too far to travel. But depending on where you are in ED it's actually nearer or equidistant to Kingsdale. It's also surprising how quickly kids adapt to their journey. They grow up fast! I know Year 7s who 'commuted' to Sutton for the grammars and the journey became second nature.

2. Re Kingsdale admissions. They've already increased their intake. I'm not sure they could increase any further or prioritise Southwark kids - that would be putting Lambeth or Lewisham kids at a disadvantage. The lottery system at least stops people renting close to the school to get in or ridiculously overpriced housing.

3. Southwark Council's hands are tied. Why they decided to allow all their secondaries to become academies is up for discussion. But it's done. Academies can set their own admission policies for better or worse.

4. Finally I don't know of any children who have hated their school wherever they have ended up. Parents I know were distraught when they were offered Forest Hill Boys, Lewisham Vale, Deptford Green etc (each to their own) and have been surprised by how well their kids have adapted and how happy they are. Obviously there are the usual things that can happen in any school. Likewise don't hold up Kingsdale or Charter as 'perfect' options. They're not. Each school has its own issues. In the end as long as our kids are being taught well, feel safe at school, are relatively engaged and have a few mates they can hang out with that's all any of us can hope for.

Good luck

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Monkey May 19, 10:25AM

Iím not stressed, just annoyed at how complicated and time-consuming the system has got, including for teachers (open days, banding tests). Agree Kingsdale is far. For this reason itís bottom of my list.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by ad2000 May 23, 08:03PM

hoonaloona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Monkey,
> Applying for secondary is a stressful time. I just
> wanted to mention a few points...
>
> 1. You say Deptford Green is too far to travel.
> But depending on where you are in ED it's actually
> nearer or equidistant to Kingsdale. It's also
> surprising how quickly kids adapt to their
> journey. They grow up fast! I know Year 7s who
> 'commuted' to Sutton for the grammars and the
> journey became second nature.
>
> 2. Re Kingsdale admissions. They've already
> increased their intake. I'm not sure they could
> increase any further or prioritise Southwark kids
> - that would be putting Lambeth or Lewisham kids
> at a disadvantage. The lottery system at least
> stops people renting close to the school to get in
> or ridiculously overpriced housing.
>
> 3. Southwark Council's hands are tied. Why they
> decided to allow all their secondaries to become
> academies is up for discussion. But it's done.
> Academies can set their own admission policies for
> better or worse.
>
> 4. Finally I don't know of any children who have
> hated their school wherever they have ended up.
> Parents I know were distraught when they were
> offered Forest Hill Boys, Lewisham Vale, Deptford
> Green etc (each to their own) and have been
> surprised by how well their kids have adapted and
> how happy they are. Obviously there are the usual
> things that can happen in any school. Likewise
> don't hold up Kingsdale or Charter as 'perfect'
> options. They're not. Each school has its own
> issues. In the end as long as our kids are being
> taught well, feel safe at school, are relatively
> engaged and have a few mates they can hang out
> with that's all any of us can hope for.
>
> Good luck


The voice of reason. Thank you. Especially the fourth point!

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Lollapa June 17, 11:44AM

Honor Oakey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure what the stats are, but I donít really
> think of school places as a boarder issue. Take
> Sydenham girls with its 800metre catchment area.
> Likewise we are Lewisham but my kids went to a
> Southwark school only 200 metres away. Kingsdale
> straddles loads of boarders. The whole system is
> tough but itís not straightforward.

Hi there Honor Oakley,

I thought the Sydenham School catchment area was bigger than this? I know it was 1.7km or so for 2018 entry. Did it shrink for 2019 entry? Thanks.

messageRe: Secondary School Allocations 2019
Posted by Troodie July 26, 09:44AM

motorbird83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Discipline issues and poor results of a school are
> a reason to raise standards not for changing
> admission arrangements, surely.
>
Agree that both of clauses are highly important in changing standards and our children are part of it. I'm sure that discipline is a criteria we can influence. But what about poor results? I had some issues with my daughter when she was 10 years old, bad writings and marks as well. And then I found out a great source [edubirdie.org]. They not only helped us when we needed an essay but also taught the best way to write it.
Hope it will help someone too.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum