How do your kids listen to audiobooks?

MrsP

Our family is a big fan of audiobooks. We started when the kids were little using audio CDs and a CD player. Now the children are older (11 and 12 years) we have subscribed to Audible as they offer a great range of content. My issue is how best to access and listen to the content? The kids currently access it either via a laptop or iPad, but when they are listening in the evening or before bed we have a real issue with audio being listened to via a screen - like most families with kids our two are really bad at turning off the screen when asked and sometimes play a sneaky game when they are supposed to be just listening to a story. I?m also worried about exposure to the blue light in the evening which can affect sleep - the nighttime light setting option still feels quite bright. So what to do? What is the best way to listen to audiobooks without having a screen? Anyone else have this issue, ideas please - thanks.

We had the same issue and went the echo dot route (bought with a black friday discount). The kids listen to audible and also can stream music through our family spotify account. I'm not massively keen on alexa devices but would rather manage that than constantly fight about screen usage.

Can anyone enlighten me on how audible really works? we've been considering it for kids audiobooks, and I initially assumed the subscription price includes the books- but something I read suggested not. So I pay the sum, then buy the books on top? What's the sub for?

And I get to keep the books after - but if I cancel the sub, can I still play them through the echo dot?

Anyone who knows and can share would be appreciated..! Thanks...

hiya, we're parenting screen free so this was a concern for us. I bought a Kindle Fire (just a regular one) and set up parental controls. This enables me to restrict what my 5 year old has access to on the Kindle (currently just Audible and Spotify), and he cannot play games or watch YouTube etc. There is also a feature where you can monitor which activities they've carried out on the device.

If listening before bed, it's a good idea to turn blue light filter onto max, so as to not prevent them from feeling sleepy.

You can close the cover of the iPad to avoid the light and audiobooks will still play. I?ve also recently discovered ?guided access? so they can?t sneakily open any other apps, or change the volume. On iBooks you can set the audiobook to turn off after a certain time, or at the end of the chapter ... though this doesn?t prevent the canny one from turning the story on again if I don?t retrieve the device.