Social Club for Autistic 7-11 year-olds

sand12

Posting this to see if there would be any interest in this? It would be a weekly club with a variety of activities catering to the interests' of the kids and learning a bit more about key social skills for this age group. I find this is a really tricky age for all kids since they are no longer little, but really don't know how to navigate peer relationships. Things like joining a group to play or recognising teasing are very important skills, but not taught anywhere.

If there is enough interest we would also set up separate groups for girls and boys, since a lot of the social things are different at this age-level. If you have an Autistic child in a mainstream school, then this area is often where they really struggle and lunch times and recess are the most difficult parts of their day. Schools/SENCOs often don't have the resources/time to do much. I hope this group would help address this.

I have a personal interest in facilitating a club like this locally and some professionals/researchers who may be able to help with materials and training. Mainly, it would be a bit of a special support groups for the kids, and a very relaxed place where they can learn about these social skills and have lots of fun!

Hopefully, at no cost and at a good time of the week for everyone.

If you are interested can you please comment below or send me a PM.

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the East Dulwich forum because I've moved not far from this area. I'm a therapist and teacher for adults and children with special needs. I'm not sure that this is the right forum/group (apologies if not) but I would like to advertise my service here as I work as a self-employed traveling therapist in schools and at families. However I work with ASD children for 10 years, in the last few years I've studied a method that (according to the latest researches and my experiences) is very effective for children with ASD, ADD, ADHD, sensory processing disorder, athetoid cerebral palsy, behaviour- and learning difficulties etc. It's a kind of sensorimotor therapy (based on Ayres therapy) that stimulates the vestibular nervous system and this way it can activate many other parts of the brain. If you are interested/would like to know more about it, please contact me via e-mail. ([email protected]).

Ps: Connecting to the original topic -it sounds great! I might be interested to be involved (just question of free time).

Melinda

Hi Melinda,

Welcome to the area and the forum. This section of the forum is not for advertisements. Can you please delete this and move it to the classifieds section? Lots of local families will welcome an additional therapist in the area.

Thanks!