Is a birthing pool worth it?

Trying for an home birth and debating whether to buy/hire a birthing pool or not. Ive heard many stories of there not really being enough time in established labour to make use of the pool (I?m a second time mum) so I don?t really want to fork out ?100+ on something I may not even use.

On the other hand I?ve heard it can be really relaxing? Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share?

Thanks!

I would say yes. It's a bit of hassle setting them up (but not for you as you'll be in labour!) but I found it a huge comfort. I borrowed one - might be worth seeing if you can. Put a post on here or the East Dulwich Mums' FB page if you are on there. Mine took longer than initially thought as the head got stuck so I really appreciated the pool. Good luck.

I've had 2 home births. Whilst I've never actually managed to 'give birth' in it - first time I got out just before and second time it wasn't even fully inflated in time, I would still recommend. Not least because it gives your other half a 'task' which can be helpful! If it works out, its lovely, if it doesn't its a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of having a child!

I used ours with both births but only actually gave birth in it second time round. I was so surprised by the relief I felt getting into the water on both occasions. Totally helped/distracted from the pain. It was absolute bliss.

• 2 weeks later...