Haberdashers Hatcham Temple Grove or hold out for John Donne

We?ve just been through the primary school admissions round for Reception September 2019 and been offered our second choice school Haberdashers hatcham Temple Grove (not the free school). We live just off Queens Road so thought this was a real long shot school and had John Donne our closest school as first choice as I really liked the school?s ethos and the results are very good. I?m now feeling really anxious and second guessing myself as to whether we should be really pleased to have Haberdashers (which is through to 18) and potentially not have to go through the school application process again at 11.

We have automatically been added to the waiting list for John Donne and should have an idea next week where we are placed on the list.

If we are offered a place at our first place school do we automatically lose the place at Haberdashers?

I?d also be grateful to hear from parents with experience of Haberdashers Hatcham Temple Grove as I can only see negative messages from around the time that Monson primary was taken over by the Federation.

Many thanks

You should accept the place at Haberdashers in the first instance, if you are then offered a waiting list place at JD you make a choice as to whether you accept it - if you do accept it then you automatically give up your place at haberdashers.

Hope that helps

Hi Jellybeanse15,

They might not be as near as you?re looking for, so please ignore if not helpful. I thought it might be useful to mention that Goose Green Primary School and John Keats Primary School are now both part of the Communitas Education Trust of four primary schools (the other is Childeric Primary School in Lewisham) that was started by the team at John Donne a few years ago. They might have places available for September Reception as Southwark has spare capacity across the borough now.

The former co-heads of John Donne are now Head of Goose Green (Simon Wattam) and Executive Head of John Keats (Nick Tildesley) and the schools share the same values and focus on inspiring learning. Their websites are here: https://www.goosegreenprimaryschool.org/ and here: http://www.jkacademy.org.uk/. I?m sure that both schools would be more than happy to make time to show you around if you?d like to take a look.

Do drop me a PM if you?d like to ask any questions about either school and very best of luck with finding the right place for your child?s start in Reception.

Rob

My son is at the htgfs at the top of the hill. He?s in year 2. That school had a great community ethos and we are very happy with it.

I know folks at temple grove and they speak very positively about it. It was taken over quite a while ago so that feedback might be out of date.

For us, though, the benefit of the automatic secondary allocation was a minor consideration:

I?ve got no idea whether the school will end up being a fit for an 11 year old I don?t know yet, and schools can change very quickly. If I were you I?d definitely make the choice based on what you see in front of you now, rather than future considerations.

Also might be worth asking if you can come in to talk to reception teacher? It sounds like you need further information, and you might as well do some research whilst you wait for your number 1 to come through. I?m sure they?d be happy to have a chat and you might get another view of the school and address concerns.

Thanks Ellie, that?s really reassuring to hear. I was planning to ask to come and take a look around, I?ll ask for a meeting with the reception teacher as well.

I?m finding this process so much more daunting than I thought.

Rob, thanks for the suggestions, I would definitely have been interested in Goose Green but it?s just that little bit too far.

Just a quick update, the school have responded by email to say that I won?t be able to come and visit the classroom before my son starts. I?ve asked again by phone, waiting for the head to come back to me. Really shocked at this response, should I be reading anything into the school not being happy to have visitors during a normal school day? Or is this typical?

Yes, I wouldn?t expect them to open it up in the day for parents perusal whilst they are teaching. But I would expect them to allow you to speak to the reception teacher (or head) to address worries you might have or clarify a few things about the school....

What is it particularly that concerns you?

Hi Jellybean

I have a daughter in reception at HTG and we are very happy with the school. We had very little feedback prior to starting apart from a couple of neighbours who were very happy with it. Honestly, I love it. The reception teaching has been fantastic, creative and much less pressured than I feared while still stretching our child who is one of the oldest. Communication between the school and parents is excellent, the wrap around care is accessible and easy to sort. I did find the wait between offers and actually going in for settling in days etc a bit unnerving but later this term they do run meet and greets etc. PM me if you want any other info x

Hi Monnimae

I?ve just seen your message. That?s really reassuring and just what I was hoping to hear as we don?t know anyone with children there.

Thank you for sending the settling in dates.

Glad I?m not the only who has found this process unnerving!

Thanks Renata, Southwark have come back to me today with our place on the John Donne waiting list and we?re quite close to the top of the list which is encouraging.

I really appreciate all of the responses.

Jellybean