Moving to east Dulwich - childcare question

Hi all

Myself and my wife and 18 month old boy are thinking of moving to lovely east Dulwich next month. We have no childcare arranged. From a little bit of research it would appear that most cr?ches / nurseries have quite long waiting lists particularly for younger kids. Is this the case, and if so are we better researching Childminder?s for the time being until he gets A bit older? Thank you all in advance !

if you sign up for a nursery place and there is a waiting it, it would suggest you need to make alternative arrangements until a place becomes available - or that you need to look after the children yourself until then

Hello! Yes, you?re right, lots of waiting lists but also often lots of movement. Things I would consider:

1) are you looking for full or part time and if part time can you be flexible with your days? If so many nurseries can accommodate quicker.

2) are you restricted geographically? (Ie do you know specifically where you want to move to and if so how far you?d be willing for the nursery run to be?). If yes, call the local relevant local nurseries to check out your options. If no, and willing to go a bit further (eg by car) options might be wider. For eg there is a newish nursery in camberwell you could consider.

3) would you consider a nanny share? Can be a good alternative to a childminder and more affordable than sole nanny and there are always lots of ppl locally looking for shares.

4) yes, childminder also a good option - many are like mini nurseries so you can get the best of both worlds.

That?s off the top of my head and I?m sure there are other options too. These things tend to work out one way or another if you put the effort in. We moved to ED without planning 5yrs ago and took a nursery place in our not first choice (which was fine but not perfect) for 6m before an offer at our favoured. We stayed there for a long time but have since also done preschool and nanny for additional children and all have worked well.

Good luck and feel free to pm xx

Thank you both very much. Carebear that was a great summary and reassuring. We are indeed flexible and that is an approach we may take with the nursery. But what I?m taking from this is that we need to get our lease sorted and then be flexible with our childcare options! Thanks again

Daithiaseire Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all

>

> Myself and my wife and 18 month old boy are

> thinking of moving to lovely east Dulwich next

> month. We have no childcare arranged. From a

> little bit of research it would appear that most

> cr?ches / nurseries have quite long waiting lists

> particularly for younger kids. Is this the ca

> and if so are we better researching Childminder?s

> for the time being until he gets A bit older?

> Thank you all in advance !

Yes, I would research the childminder option. Southwark Council have a list of Registered Childminders and they offer the same services (the EYFS and more) as nurseries up until a child starts Reception.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Parents

i am delighted to say that we will have a space available from June. if you are interested and would like to view the Nursery a view can be arranged.

if this is of your interest, please email us to; [email protected]

FACEBOOK PAGE;Anabela Day Care Nursery

Website; WWW.ANABELADAYNURSERY.CO.UK

Kind regards

Ana Bela

• 1 year later...