Bessemer Grange Primary Views

Wonderful school. Caring, hardworking teachers and brilliant grounds. Have two children there, one with SEN and they have both flourished there.

If you would like more info please PM me. Would very much recommend a visit (my daughter got in there instead of Heber that was our closest school and was gutted at the time but honestly it's the best thing that could have happened to us).

It?s a lovely school. Like peggoula I have 2 kids there. My son is in Year 6 so this is his 7th year at Bessemer. There is so much to recommend it - amazing staff, all the different play areas and the nature garden, really strong leadership. They have been inspected by Ofsted v recently so you will see lots of detail in there. The main thing is that both my kids are really happy there and seem to have a lovely learning experience (much more fun than when I was at school). If you search Bessemer on here you will probably find similar threads going back several years.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no experience with Bessemer Primary, but looking at the Southwark Performance indicator the school is under performing. https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/schools-by-type?

I can really recommend Judith Kerr Primary School on Half Moon Lance. Excellent Performance, lovely community and that they teach German on top of the impressive curriculum is certainly a plus.

Do be careful with the performance data. Schools are complex things and boiling them down to a few stats doesn?t really tell the full picture. I?d really recommend visiting to get a proper feel for the school and getting feedback from parents who already have children at the school is also really valuable.

It?s some years since we were looking at primary schools for our application, but I was impressed by Bessemer when we looked there. And parents whose children are there now seem positive about the school.

Willy10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have no experience with Bessemer Primary, but

> looking at the Southwark Performance indicator the

> school is under performing.

> https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov

> .uk/schools-by-type?

> I can really recommend Judith Kerr Primary School

> on Half Moon Lance. Excellent Performance, lovely

> community and that they teach German on top of the

> impressive curriculum is certainly a plus.

But Bessemer Grange Primary seem to be performing well and not under performing by any mile.

Stating that Judith Kerr also teach the German language to primary school children is always a plus I suppose but it's not a plus factor overall.

Bessemer Grange and Judith Kerr have had a recent Ofsted visit. Interesting to see if the Dulwich Village Infants School and Dulwich Hamlets have a visit anytime soon. Both Ofsted visits/reports were over 10 years ago.

We're very happy with Bessemer too. Child in Year 1 and a reception joiner starting in Sept. Did you go to an open day? That is what sold it to me. It felt right and so many London schools are tall and surrounded by concrete and this is low and spread out and surrounded by fields and nature (and it has its own nature garden)

Would echo that looking at the schools is key. Performance data doesn't tell you everything you need to know by a long way, and actually Bessemer's performance has been amazing in recent years with only a slight dip in the last year. Bessemer has a really active friends organisation from what I can see, so chatting to them might be a good first step.

On Ofsted they only visit outstanding schools if there is a performance dip, so unless that happens or there is a change to the Ofsted guidelines I wouldn't expect an Ofsted inspection for DVIS or DHJS any time soon. Again though, looking round the schools will give you a clearer view as to whether it would be a good fit for your child.

• 4 months later...

My sons have been there since nursery they are now in year 3 and year 5. It?s an amazing school, with such lovely staff and a great team for special education (my youngest is Dyslexic) we truly are spoiled there as there is an entire playground per 2 years, so nursery and reception share a playground, year 1&2 share a playground, year 3&4 share a playground and year 5&6 have their own school and playground across the road. Not to mention the lovely nature garden with chickens, that the kids get to help feed and the eggs are sold to make money to help the school.

Also it?s in a lovely residential area so no fumes from cars filling the playgrounds

Highly recommend this school.

• 3 weeks later...
Also highly recommend this school. My son went at yr 3 after Dulwich village infants. Within one term they had picked up a serious problem with his motor function, referred him to sunshine house for a full functional assessment and set out a remedial programme that has set him in good stead for his future studies. At Dulwich village infants he was set extra homework for not trying hard enough.

Tadpole39 - shocked to trad your post but glad and unsurprised to know Bessemmer?s team spotted the issue.

We put Bessemer as our first choice for our eldest kid many years ago. From memory the school was the least-subscribed in Southwark at the time. It was also far from home. Why did we choose it? The facilities, with the different aged playgrounds, the friendliness of the staff, the artistic vibe, the outlook from all the classrooms over JAGS ever green playing fields etc. Yes it was a trek to get to in the early years by pram and pushchair, rather than round the corner to our local Victorian school, but no regrets. Now the kids cycle and scoot, 1 mile can be done in 10-15mins easily.

Sure it?s not perfect but I doubt anywhere is. I think they could be more frequent with homework and more strict with uniform. The Execuative Head isn?t a ?listener?. But experience shows if you take any issues to the teachers or direct the Year Heads, you will be heard and responded to.

Our kids have each really bonded with all the teachers and assistants they have had, not wanting to leave them at end of each year. The teachers are generally young, enthusiastic and appear fully devoted.

I can honestly say our kids routinely, day after day, they come back home having had ?a great day?, which for us is priceless. I know other kids at private schools and I?m yet to be convinced they have learnt anything more at primary age.

To conclude, our kids have thrived at Bessemer and I hope yours do too!

Thank you all for your comments.

We ended up taking the place and I must admit, it?s a wonderful place.

Our son is really happy. Though he has only been in Reception one term, we are really impressed.

The teachers are warm and friendly, Reception get two book changes a week (mostly)and there?s a very family feel to the school.

The playground is set up every day for outdoor teaching and the play spaces are really good.

I went to a parents lunch in the dining hall and was very impressed with the the lunches.

Would highly recommend.