Total cost of a full-time nanny?

I'm struggling to work out what the total outgoings per month would be to employ a nanny full time in London, ie how to work out what tax, NI, pension etc come to on top of the hourly rate.

I'm going back to work in 10 months and will have a 10 month old and 3 year old. Nursery quote for both is about ?3000/month (including the 30 free hours to which 3yo will be entitled). If I could afford a nanny for that money per month I think it would make life much nicer - I could ask her to take 3yo to the very nice state nursery school for thee hours every morning which would be covered by 30hours (she already has a place) so she still gets stimulation of a school setting and little one has more focussed care.

But I'm struggling to work out total costs. ?3000/month would be very painful but keen to spend it in the best way! If we went down the nanny route and she came 7am-6.30pm I could also work compressed hours 4 days a week and be on full salary, and only need to pay for four days.

Very grateful for help with an idea of whether a nanny is totally out of my price range! Thank you.

Hi,

Use this free calculator to see how much you can afford to pay. For different monthly salaries (gross or net) the calculator breaks down the total employment costs including employer NIC and pension obligations.

By my quick analysis can roughly afford to pay just under ?15 per hour gross / just over ?11 net per hour. Nannies often think in net hourly wages rather than gross salary.

https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,2031173

Most day nannies in our area expect ?12 - ?15 per hour.

At the lower end of the scale that would be about ?3,500 a month gross rising from there.

If you could get someone for ?11 an hour (net) you should be set but I never interviewed anyone who would go that low and I was interviewing a few years back.

• 3 months later...

I?m s nanny . But just a little advice for you .. have you tried advertising nanny with own child ? I?ve just finished my nanny position as I?m studying now so I don?t nanny anymore. But I used to take my child to work with me for ?10 per hour as a reduced rate ..

I think ?3,000 per month full time is a lot of money to pay ..

When I used to nanny in Dulwich I used to charge ?9 per hour . Rates have clearly gone up ..

Anyway just thought I?d give you advice. Maybe Childmnder and Nursery?? Good luck. Xxxx

• 2 weeks later...