Youngest in school year? Heber/Goodrich school

Hi

Looking for some advice here on potentially holding back our son for 1 more year from primary school? Our son is 3 in late August and would be the youngest in his school year if he was to go straight into primary school. We are looking for advice, thoughts of parents in similar situations and any insight into schools reactions in trying to defer our little one for a year. We are thinking either Heber or Goodrich school so any past experiences would be welcomed?!

Thanks

X

Our daughter is now 5, but her birthday is 29th August - so right up to the line! We toyed with the idea of holding her back but in the end we didn?t, and she is very happy and settled at Goose Green Prinary now, which we all love. Reception at GG worked really well for her thanks to the gentle start to each morning (parents are invited into the classroom each morning to help settle their child and can stay for 20 mins reading books etc) and the reception teachers & TAs are just so lovely, kind & patient.

I really think it depends on the child and their character, they are all so different and you as his parents will know your child best and what call to make - but I totally relate to your situation... it is a tricky decision to make!

What helped us come to to the decision to not hold back a year was imagining our daughter in nursery/childcare for another year, at almost 5. We felt she?d likely be ?bored/tired? of nursery if she was there another whole year (she was at nursery from 18months).

Also, once we started looking at schools and understanding just how play based and similar to nursery reception is, we felt more secure about her being so young.

As I said, it?s so variable depending on the child and you know your child best. But just wanted to share our experience incase it?s helpful!

All the best!

I couldn't agree with zork more. Nursery and Reception age children are still learning through play etc. but because a lot of children are looked after outside the family setting i.e. nurseries, nannies, childminders many parents suddenly worry when their child is ready for full time school, even if they are the youngest.

It is certainly possible if you feel that your child needs it and has been done at these schools. I knew two July birthdays in my youngest son's cohort and one did another year in the school nursery as their parents could tell they were just not ready, and the other went on to be youngest in the year above. Both parents made the right decision and the children are flourishing in their respective year groups.

Although we all worry when it is time for reception, some children do need and benefit from this. If it's right for your child do not be put off by anyone who says you are being over protective.