Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk
xxxx
www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messagesummer for a 12 yr old
Posted by alethea July 09, 10:13PM

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on what activities over the summer might be good for a 12yr old and working parents. Everything is very geared towards younger children and a lot of the courses available often site 12 as the older age implying that it will be more for younger ages.
I feel that this is an age that feels really under represented in terms of providing things to do, a bit to young for some things but too old for others.
I've tried the residential which although went well he would rather go with a friends which hasn't been workable. The sports side of things does tick some boxes but probably not for the whole summer.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thx

messageRe: summer for a 12 yr old
Posted by Jellybeanz July 10, 02:06PM

I am watching this with interest as I think this is a neglected idea - it's an age when kids are still too young to care for themselves all day and yet the holiday clubs don't take children over around 11/12 years.

Definitely a gap in the holiday club market!

Posted by telemum July 10, 03:02PM

Does he do music or drama? Lots of clubs up to 16 in those areas - often not full day, but at 12 they can take themselves home? I agree it's tricky. My daughter (also 12) will do one week residential, one week orchestra, one week drama club.

Posted by beansprout July 10, 05:22PM

Horniman has stuff on as does picture gallery.

How about hiring for the odd day an x student who could take him into town say science museum, natural history, visit to Cutty sark or Greenwuch. Brockwell Park garden place has stuff on, i think. Plenty of stuff going on at Southbank - the list is endless!

Really depends what his interests are.

Posted by Megabyte Club July 11, 08:48PM

When I use to run Club-Tastic I tried to run a 12-14 yr old art group in the summer holidays a few years ago and it didn't get much interest, I think that maybe why clubs don't seem to be catering for the age group as much as others. However there was [www.sparksarts.co.uk] this club running at JAGS last week it goes up to 14 year olds.

Posted by sunbob July 11, 10:36PM

As far as I understand the summer club at Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground is still age 5-15, although age range not mentioned in their most recent post:
[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Posted by birnehelene July 12, 12:13PM

Posted by Lacey July 12, 05:30PM

London City Royals basketball team have a three week holiday club at Crystal Palace which caters for this age group. Itís not for the whole day (til 3pm I think) but our son will make own way there and back.

[londoncityroyals.com]

Posted by womanofdulwich July 13, 07:50AM

There might be something at Herne Hill velodrome.you are correct this is a vulnerable age.

Posted by Peachpie July 14, 07:19AM

Scroll down there are some holiday clubs here.
[takeflightacademy.co.uk]

Posted by Peachpie July 14, 07:25AM

Also a few in this Lewisham list seem to go to 14.
[www.020.co.uk]

Posted by mrs.lotte July 14, 10:26PM

I usually send my son (now 14) to a week or two of tennis and can recommend

[clubspark.lta.org.uk]

Mine have welcomed the holiday lie-in but this way they get that rest but also a reason to get out of bed and some fresh air.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum