We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.fabbeautelondon.com

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messagesummer for a 12 yr old
Posted by alethea 09 July, 2019 22:13

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on what activities over the summer might be good for a 12yr old and working parents. Everything is very geared towards younger children and a lot of the courses available often site 12 as the older age implying that it will be more for younger ages.
I feel that this is an age that feels really under represented in terms of providing things to do, a bit to young for some things but too old for others.
I've tried the residential which although went well he would rather go with a friends which hasn't been workable. The sports side of things does tick some boxes but probably not for the whole summer.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thx

messageRe: summer for a 12 yr old
Posted by Jellybeanz 10 July, 2019 14:06

I am watching this with interest as I think this is a neglected idea - it's an age when kids are still too young to care for themselves all day and yet the holiday clubs don't take children over around 11/12 years.

Definitely a gap in the holiday club market!

Posted by telemum 10 July, 2019 15:02

Does he do music or drama? Lots of clubs up to 16 in those areas - often not full day, but at 12 they can take themselves home? I agree it's tricky. My daughter (also 12) will do one week residential, one week orchestra, one week drama club.

Posted by beansprout 10 July, 2019 17:22

Horniman has stuff on as does picture gallery.

How about hiring for the odd day an x student who could take him into town say science museum, natural history, visit to Cutty sark or Greenwuch. Brockwell Park garden place has stuff on, i think. Plenty of stuff going on at Southbank - the list is endless!

Really depends what his interests are.

Posted by Megabyte Club 11 July, 2019 20:48

When I use to run Club-Tastic I tried to run a 12-14 yr old art group in the summer holidays a few years ago and it didn't get much interest, I think that maybe why clubs don't seem to be catering for the age group as much as others. However there was [www.sparksarts.co.uk] this club running at JAGS last week it goes up to 14 year olds.

Posted by sunbob 11 July, 2019 22:36

As far as I understand the summer club at Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground is still age 5-15, although age range not mentioned in their most recent post:
[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Posted by birnehelene 12 July, 2019 12:13

Posted by Lacey 12 July, 2019 17:30

London City Royals basketball team have a three week holiday club at Crystal Palace which caters for this age group. Itís not for the whole day (til 3pm I think) but our son will make own way there and back.

[londoncityroyals.com]

Posted by womanofdulwich 13 July, 2019 07:50

There might be something at Herne Hill velodrome.you are correct this is a vulnerable age.

Posted by Peachpie 14 July, 2019 07:19

Scroll down there are some holiday clubs here.
[takeflightacademy.co.uk]

Posted by Peachpie 14 July, 2019 07:25

Also a few in this Lewisham list seem to go to 14.
[www.020.co.uk]

Posted by mrs.lotte 14 July, 2019 22:26

I usually send my son (now 14) to a week or two of tennis and can recommend

[clubspark.lta.org.uk]

Mine have welcomed the holiday lie-in but this way they get that rest but also a reason to get out of bed and some fresh air.

Posted by char1i3 12 August, 2019 18:52

The BMX track at Burgess Park does half day or full day activities - look it up online.

Charlie

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum