Moths...help!!

Lox

Has anyone successfully used a non toxic treatment for moths (through a pest control company or DIY). We have a problem with pale backed clothes moths and it is driving us all mad. However, with young children I?m very concerned to use chemicals. I would be extremely grateful for any recommendations, tips etc. Thanks

We have been plagued by moths for years. The most effective treatment is to freeze the affected clothes. This deals with the eggs. But you also need to deal with the adults. Sticky pheromone strips will deal with the males. You can also try cedar balls and discs but these need to ?roughed up? every so often to release the moth-repelling scents.

I tried all the non toxic stuff and none of it worked. I spent a fortune. Lavender, cedar wood, you name it I tried it.

I regret having had a go at somebody on here who was selling sticky traps. I said they were cruel. Which obviously they are.

However. Having had some favourite items of clothing wrecked by moths - or rather, their vile larvae - I changed my mind.

I have them under control now (famous last words).

I use sticky traps in demi diamonds in every room (don't try and do without the demi diamonds. I had to cut a trap off my partner's hair :)) ).

I use papers among my clothes and cushions etc (the bastard moths ate most of my cushions) and also those hanging things for wardrobes.

I diarise to replace them when they need to be replaced.

All this also costs a fortune, but at least it works.

But don't get complacent. You think you have got rid of them, but they will come back!

The flying males can be squished if you're quick when they settle on a wall (or with one of those battery operated zappers) but the females are very elusive and slide into tiny places where you can't get at them, very quickly indeed.

I too hate using chemicals, but I honestly think nothing else works.

Same with slugs.

Good luck!

ETA: You probably know this, but although it is the larvae which cause the damage, you need to kill both the male and female moths which will otherwise mate and produce the eggs which hatch into the larvae.

Also (hard for me) they like dusty places. And also unwashed clothes.

I don't use the sprays any more. I stopped when my sister was staying here with her parrot, and never started again.

Every time I get the sticky strips or papers or hanging cassettes I Google for the cheapest source.

I nearly always buy them online, but not necessarily the same place for each thing.

I buy in (reasonable) bulk but they do have a use by date.

You might want to consider consulting a pest control expert if your problem is really bad.

ETA: You can get these smoke bomb things. You could maybe use one and go away for a few days so it had worn off before the children came back.

But probably better to let an expert advise you?

I think I have one somewhere, I've never dared use it :)(

Wrong time of year. But at the end of winter launder, thoroughly dry and vacuum pack all wool clothing/items, particularly special clothes so they can't be used to lay eggs on. We replaced wool carpets with synthetic ones too. But now slightly regret that due them potentially going to landfil at end of life but non-wool flooring also cuts down egg laying places.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We use peppermint essential oil on cotton wool

> balls. Works well

This has got rid of all your moths? Both male (flying) and female (creeping)?

How big a problem did you have?

Sorry to be cynical, but I'm amazed if that is a permanent solution (though if it is, I will deffo try it!)

Lol. Well, I am not a moth expert I?m afraid. I?ve been in 3 properties in East Dulwich over 14yrs and always have the same moths (no I don?t move house with them). So whatever those moths are, I do not know. All I know is the peppermint balls work for me without fail. They also deter spiders coming in and mice don?t like them. Can I guarantee it will work for you? No. But what?s the harm? Holland and Barrett were the cheapest vendor of oil. Good luck.

Lula Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another vote for the sticky pheromone traps. Also

> remember to not leave windows open and lights on.

> You'll come back to find loads of moths flocking

> to the light.

Happy to be proved wrong, but I've never known clothes moths to be attracted to light?

Plenty of ventilation, light and good general hygiene is the best preventative treatment particularly if you have lot of mature carpet and upholstery, wardrobes and cabinets full of clothes, duvets and rugs. Duvets, blankets, curtains, rugs and carpet must be cleaned regularly and the same is with clothes. Never ever going out for dinner and then put back the clothes you wore in the wardrobe.

On top of these safe habits, I use myself and recommend to all my clients to use drops of tea tree oil when the season changes. You can reuse those little balls and discs and leave them in drawers or wherever you have fabrics / carpets and wood stuff.

If you want to wipe surfaces tea tree oil can be also diluted with water that is another robust useful measure in case of infestation but avoid directly contact with skin or eyes as it can be toxic and irritating.

It seems the combination of regular cleanings / laundry and good hygiene and occasional tea tree oil treatment works very well for the absolute majority of people.

Regards

Maria Longo

Joy of Cleaning

Dulwich, London

Mobile 07887990108

email [email protected]

Personal Motto: Get Rid of All The Clutter and Find Joy! :-)

I?ve struggled with moths for years. Tried all of the above treatments but they are preventative and will have no effect if you have a serious infestation. Wanted to try those wasps but they cost a fortune. We had moths in the carpet so nothing worked. Recently tried Formula 'P' Carpet Moth Super Fumer Smoke Bomb (from Amazon). It says it?s safe for humans but we did air the whole house for a couple of hours before going back in. We did two applications, two weeks apart. I think you need to smoke the whole house to get them all - we even put one in the cellar. Haven?t seen any moths since. Really pleased with the result and feel stupid for not trying this earlier - could have saved so many jumpers!

• 2 weeks later...