Forum Sponsors

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/free-architect-consultation/

www.inshutters.co.uk

www.nannycentral.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageDcd/dyslexia private assessment and support
Posted by midivydale September 29, 11:11AM

Hey, pls could anyone share recommendations for private help with assessment? We have been on the waiting list for sunshine house for 8months now. We can’t wait anymore.
Anyone who has experience with SEN tutors please also PM me. We are unlikely to ever meet care plan criteria but still, this can’t go on.

Finally, any experience with kind and inclusive state schools please also pm me. I mean the kind that don’t shout and humiliate dyspraxic 6yr olds or keep them in at lunch time because of their “awful handwriting”.

messageRe: Dcd/dyslexia private assessment and support
Posted by goldilocks September 30, 07:22AM

I don't have any experience of what you're looking for , so hopefully others who do will see this message. I just wanted to check that you were aware of Bell House on Dulwich Village (opposite the Picture Gallery) who run lots of Dyslexia events -they had a 'Dyslexia fair' a couple of weekends ago and are an education based charity with a specific focus around dyslexia. If you haven't come across them, might be worth getting in touch.

Posted by hazelnunhead September 30, 01:39PM

A good starting point might be to contact BDA (british dyslexia association) - they are a charity and have loads of information and might be able to signpost you to an assessment (I think they have some bursaries for this as well) They have accredited tutors as well and you could ask for advice / recommendations around this.
Once your child has a statement it will be really useful as it will state what their strengths and weaknesses are - might allow for some funding for resources etc, and you can use it with the school to make sure they are meeting the educational requirements for your child (this is protected under the new equalitites law) - the BDA might be able to also let you know about local support groups, where they often share information about what resources are out there and ways to support your child,

[www.bdadyslexia.org.uk]

I am part of a forum (where resources around dyslexia are shared ) - if you DM me your queries I can also ask the forum (closed to members) any specific questions to see if I can find you any additional information or support.

Posted by gebbjane September 30, 02:50PM

We got an assessment done for our daughter through Helen Arkell at Bell House, highly recommend. The report we got back was really thorough, it’s not the cheapest but really good but do offer a grant for those on low income to help with the cost. And as pp said Bell house run a number of events as well.

Posted by Renata Hamvas September 30, 05:55PM

The Bloomfield Centre do dyslexia testing

[bloomfieldlearningcentre.org.uk]

Posted by hazelnunhead October 03, 10:19AM

I meant to add this resource as well - they do frequent webinars (around £15 each) and will help you understand dyslexia, how to support your child - for example there's one in October about how to support your child back at school

[www.sendgroup.co.uk]

Posted by mumra October 04, 05:01PM

Hello! I can recommend Claire www.dulwichdyslexia.co.uk .She was brilliantly efficient at turning around a report when we needed it and although we paid, her prices were very reasonable considering the amount of work she did carrying out the tests and writing up a very full report.

Posted by Melihoople October 08, 07:46PM

Bloomfield has always been good.

Posted by mumra October 09, 07:14PM

If anyone is also interested in an assessment for Dyscalculia, then I can really recommend Marianne Boutall. She recently assessed our eldest and the report and assessment process was very thorough and is going to be brilliantly helpful for addressing gaps. She can be reached at masteringmathsdifficulties@gmail.com

Posted by Susan October 16, 01:15PM

Agree with above recommendation for Claire at Dulwich Dyslexia

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum