Dcd/dyslexia private assessment and support

midivydale

Hey, pls could anyone share recommendations for private help with assessment? We have been on the waiting list for sunshine house for 8months now. We can?t wait anymore.

Anyone who has experience with SEN tutors please also PM me. We are unlikely to ever meet care plan criteria but still, this can?t go on.

Finally, any experience with kind and inclusive state schools please also pm me. I mean the kind that don?t shout and humiliate dyspraxic 6yr olds or keep them in at lunch time because of their ?awful handwriting?.

I don't have any experience of what you're looking for , so hopefully others who do will see this message. I just wanted to check that you were aware of Bell House on Dulwich Village (opposite the Picture Gallery) who run lots of Dyslexia events -they had a 'Dyslexia fair' a couple of weekends ago and are an education based charity with a specific focus around dyslexia. If you haven't come across them, might be worth getting in touch.

A good starting point might be to contact BDA (british dyslexia association) - they are a charity and have loads of information and might be able to signpost you to an assessment (I think they have some bursaries for this as well) They have accredited tutors as well and you could ask for advice / recommendations around this.

Once your child has a statement it will be really useful as it will state what their strengths and weaknesses are - might allow for some funding for resources etc, and you can use it with the school to make sure they are meeting the educational requirements for your child (this is protected under the new equalitites law) - the BDA might be able to also let you know about local support groups, where they often share information about what resources are out there and ways to support your child,

https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/advice/children/is-my-child-dyslexic

I am part of a forum (where resources around dyslexia are shared ) - if you DM me your queries I can also ask the forum (closed to members) any specific questions to see if I can find you any additional information or support.

We got an assessment done for our daughter through Helen Arkell at Bell House, highly recommend. The report we got back was really thorough, it?s not the cheapest but really good but do offer a grant for those on low income to help with the cost. And as pp said Bell house run a number of events as well.

Hello! I can recommend Claire www.dulwichdyslexia.co.uk .She was brilliantly efficient at turning around a report when we needed it and although we paid, her prices were very reasonable considering the amount of work she did carrying out the tests and writing up a very full report.

• 2 weeks later...
If your child is only six, I think your priority should be patience and rewarding progress, no matter how small. Six is very young to be focusing on poor spelling and handwriting. Instead provide lots of praise for what is done well. Speak to the teacher/phase leader about the handwriting problem. Highlighting the lines to write on helps a lot of children. At home, dot to dot and colouring can help pencil control and any fine motor activities will also help.

This.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50095218

The wait and see approach is not always the best. This is especially true when schools and LAs don't diagnose because they don't have the money to then support the students. This government has let down children and families with special needs catastrophically. If you can, get an assessment privately, armed with that you may then be able to advocate for your child. Otherwise, they will just wait to see him fail & then offer minimal/inadequate support to appease you. Sadly, by then the damage to self-esteem and ability to catch up to peers is compromised.

Hey everyone and thank you for your comments, each and everyone one of them are appreciated. My son is 7 1/2 now so appear older than the cut off for things to just magically fall into place. I have found an educational psychologist that I built a good report with over the phone so we are awaiting her availability with regards to an assessment. In the meantime I?m working away with him as best as I can at home building on his strengths (verbal reasoning, IT, comprehension and maths) as well as just trying to not let him lose all hope in himself. His reading is ok, he is doing ok, there is just a pretty huge disparity between his comprehension and execution (ie comprehension vs literacy and handwriting). He can create the most wonderful stories, he just can?t writw them down😰

As a mum of one dyslexic and one child who it didn't all fall into place until about 8 years old I counteracted their creative frustration by helping them make story books. For the non-dyslexic I would sit down at the keyboard whilst he told me the stories to write and with the dyslexic (who is very creative and arty), suggest he tell stories in drawings and I would help with any words if they were needed. Obviously, this is not a replacement for good dyslexic focused teaching at school but really helped their creativity.

midivydale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hey everyone and thank you for your comments, each

> and everyone one of them are appreciated. My son

> is 7 1/2 now so appear older than the cut off for

> things to just magically fall into place. I have

> found an educational psychologist that I built a

> good report with over the phone so we are awaiting

> her availability with regards to an assessment. In

> the meantime I?m working away with him as best as

> I can at home building on his strengths (verbal

> reasoning, IT, comprehension and maths) as well as