Emergency paediatric dental- advice pls

Lochie

Hoping for some advice - my son (10) was on a wait list for a large filling at Kings due to dental phobia. Found out six weeks later his referral was rejected as we are out of catchment (we are in Beckenham and the error was caused by referring dentist).

He has now been re-refered to Bromley paediatric dental but tonight he is in AGONY- this cannot wait- does anyone know if I turned up at Kings tomorrow morning whether they would sort his tooth out same day (with sedation)? Apparently they have a wait list in Bromley of 800 children, my son cannot wait that long

Appreciate any advice

Poor thing. If he's in pain then there may be infection - it is highly unlikely the tooth would be filled whilst there's infection. I would suggest getting an emergency appointment at a normal dentist where they can assess the situation and perhaps provide a prescription for antibiotics. Highlighting the situation to your dentist may mean in a few days, once the antibiotics settle in, they can put a temporary filling in the tooth (if your son allows - usually done without needles)and possibly advice on your next steps. Not a dentist but someone who has been through this scenario before. I'd also suggest he stop eating on that side of his mouth and only drink fluids (hot or cold) through a straw to prevent the nerve getting triggered.

All the best.

Thank you so much for the advice. I think some haribo at a party yesterday kicked off the pain flair up. It had subsided today. My husband is visiting my sons dentist tomorrow for his own check up, so will ask him what to do. Temp filling without needles would be a great option, as I fear a full filling without sedation will give him a needle phobia for life!