Has anyone dealt with severe infant reflux?

Candice007

Have a 10 week old and I?m thinking she has reflux, doctors no real help but she cries so much when awake (not at set times of the day etc), sounds like she is in real pain. Infant gaviscon doesn?t seem to help.

Wondering if anyone would recommend a private paed and are there any in the area?

Hey, yes I have. I really feel for you. I have an old thread that I will link to as it has helped me and several others. I have had two reflux babies.

The nearest private consultant is Babu Vademalayan. He is the clinical lead at the Pediatric Gastro clinic at Kings but also run a private clinic at the Guthrie Wing (also Kings). His bedside manner is pretty poor but he is helpful and will help you get care with your GP too for follow ups. PM if you have any questions. You should also look into CMPI ALLERGIES as it?s often linked

Sending hugs and wine, it is so hard.

My 3 year old was very colicky as a baby, I was told reflux and she was prescribed medication but did not help, turned out she had a cows milk allergy and was put on prescribed milk at 12 weeks, was a different baby overnight! It may be more than reflux, my daughter had a blotchy rash mainly on face, runny poo?s after all feeds but this was put down to her being breastfed, screamed at night, took ages to settle her, If you?re bottlefeeding I?ve read Aptamil comfort milk is meant to be good for reflux babies, good luck, hope you have a happier baby soon!

If you?re breastfeeding, could be useful to seek advice to check there aren?t problems around positioning and attachment, oversupply or fast letdown which could be causing the discomfort and can all be relieved without medication.

If gaviscon is making no difference, first step is to return to GP and ask for

the NICE guidelines to be followed and trial ranitidine (ensuring you have a recent weight for

Baby so get to HV clinic)

Be very cautious with regard to CMPA information/guidelines available especially if you?re breastfeeding

as there is lots that can be done to continue supporting this which often isn?t communicated especially as most

funding comes from formula companies with commercial interests ahead of health.