Charter ED and ND/Kingsdale - views from current families at the school?

Mischa

We are starting to think about secondary school for our son and we are lucky in that we may be in the catchment for both Charters. I hear good things about Kingsdale too.

Would anyone on here with children at the schools let know their thoughts? Are the two charters very different from one another for instance? I'm starting with close to zero knowledge really

Thanks so much in advance...

I have two children at Kingsdale and both enjoy school and are achieving well. My eldest is academic and is appropriately challenged, my other has SEND and has been supported incredibly well. The size of the school may be off-putting for some, but my kids like the fact that they can feel anonymous when they wish to. Despite the huge intake, teachers and heads of year seem to be able to get to know the students and are very supportive and knowledgeable. Theh school is very strong pastorally.

The Charter School ED put a big advert in the SLP today about consultation for admission arrangements for September 2021 entry. They're proposing changes to the over-subscription criteria so looks like the school is pretty popular. Consultation closes on 31st January 2020.

I can't do links but you can get a paper copy of the SLP in any newsagents or in Sainsburys to see the full advert.

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Charter School ED put a big advert in the SLP

> today about consultation for admission

> arrangements for September 2021 entry. They're

> proposing changes to the over-subscription

> criteria so looks like the school is pretty

> popular. Consultation closes on 31st January

> 2020.

I think this consultation only refers to the over subscription for 6th form entry not in lower years

> I can't do links but you can get a paper copy of

> the SLP in any newsagents or in Sainsburys to see

> the full advert.

The school is not that new. It has been in existence for over 4 years, only new to the current site.

Mischa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks. I guess I wondered in particular what the

> implications are for Charter ED being so new. Is

> it likely to change a lot in the next 18 months? I

> will book to go and see them all early September

> time...

I've got one child at Kingsdale and one at Charter East Dulwich. Both kids are happy at their respective schools and I feel we made the right choice with both of them. They are very different in terms of atmosphere (the size difference being the most obvious but lots of other different strengths in various subject areas too) so you really need to visit them to see which one suits your child best - my two daughters are quite different which was why my youngest one didn't automatically follow the oldest one to the same school. Overall there are pluses and minuses for both schools but I'd happily recommend either. (I remember doing a long post pontificating about these pluses and minuses in response to another thread on the EDF a while ago if you can be bothered to track it down.)

Warning: the Kingsdale headteacher always makes an endless, cult-like speech at their open days but try not to let that put you off!

I have a daughter at Kingsdale - when we initially went to look at the school when she was in Year 5 - like Redjam says we found the headteachers talk almost off putting. However as it was one of the co-ed schools around we put it on our list of 6 - it was not our first choice as we were also worried about how big it was.

My daughter got offered a place and we took it - still with some concerns. However the school has given her a range of opportunities, loads of extra curricular activities that they can drop in and out of (dance, music, drama, sport, horse riding etc). I have emailed the head of learning on two occasions and received a response and a phone call that same day to answer my questions. Any email to any staff member has always been responded to. So although big they seem to manage this with different year groups ending school at different times so it never feels too hectic.

Overall we are very happy with the choice and feel that educationally she is been both pushed and supported. We love the range of activities she has been able to partake in - music, drama, maths, art etc all seem to be very strong and supported.