Dreaming of a holiday in Greeece - but which island!?

I have a real longing to go to Greece this summer - From watching the Durrell's (tv programme) Corfu is high on my list and you can fly to.

But also wondering if anyone had any islands they had been to recently (especially with a tween/teen) that they could recommend either in terms of getting there and where you stayed. The other option is to fly to Athens then take a ferry - any suggestions would be most welcome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Before booking and buying any holiday please check https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece as you do not want to be arrested or remain stuck in the middle of nowhere!

Rhodes, Kos, Zakynthos, Corfu and Crete are the only greek islands where apparently the Foreign Office does not advice you NOT to go. I doubt this is clearly said to you when / if you book a flight now but I hope so. Perhaps you just have to wait and book later on.

Assuming that in the meantime the international situation changes, I would also vote for The Sporades: direct flight from Gatwick to Skiathos, full of amenities, but then you have the magic of nature with Skopelos and Alonissos.

Apparently Skopelos has become famous for families and teenagers in recent years, I guess after the 2008 film 'Mamma Mia' with lot of picturesque scenes and organised activities... Alonissos is lot of fun if you rent a scooter to reach the beaches, almost no cars.

However if there are no speedy connections by boat (suspended because of Covid) I would say is not the right year for this archipelago and it may be safer to choose a bigger or more popular island, like Mykonos or Santorini.

Anyhow (sorry for saying so) but it seems there is no place abroad that at the moment can give you peace of mind, including places the Foreign Office consider "not at risk". On the contrary, the holiday you have in mind risks to remain only in your dreams and you go through a nightmare of disputes and blocked or cancelled services. But that can be also part of the "adventure" of a holiday in Greece with the pandemic still ongoing, in a certain sense...

Consider that a coastal walking holiday in Cornwall may be a convenient English alternative :)

Maria

Maria Longo

Mobile 07887990108

email [email protected]

Personal Motto: Get Rid of All The Clutter and Find Joy! :-)