4+ assessment for a bilingual DD

Hello

Our DD just turned 3yo. She'll have 4+ assessment in January.

We do not speak English at home and would like her to speak both languages fluently.

She was full time in nursery before the lockdown and where she spoke English and only in the early morning and at evenings she spoke the other language with us, which was not substantial.

Now with the lockdown we spend much more time together and her progress in the other language is amazing. Her non English vocabulary has widened and we read a lot of books on different subjects at this language and she learns new words as well as new facts about nature, trees, animals, objects etc. My English has quite a heavy accent and if I read does not sound as well as my native language therefore I prefer to speak and read to DD in my native language.

Earlier at the age of 2 she has been diagnosed with Glue Ear and had grommets surgery and some speech therapy. ST thougt that by the age of 3 our daughter will catch up with peers, which she did, at least 85-90%. Still I can see the difference between English and speaking other children who speak correct English at home and our DD who hears a different English and hears English spoken by non English teachers at her nursery.

Our DD is quite bright, but not genius. She can count up to 20 and we read a lot of books about nature,

Our hearts set on Alleyns or JAGS. I know, you can say those are the most competitive schools even for the brightest kids with good English spoken at home all the time.

I asked for an advise from a tutor who prepares kids for assessments and she said that our DD might fail because she won't have extensive enough English vocabulary. She said that at the assessment there is no use of knowledge if it can not be spoken out in clear English. It's no point knowing what the gravity is if DD does not know the English word for it.She said that my DD will be at disadvantage even if she knows a lot because of her English vocabulary.

I'd like to ask other mothers whose bilingual DC attended 4+ assessments to share their positive and negative experiences with us.

I'm quite confused now as I can see that I'm trying to teach DD all new words in both languages, while still speaking in my native language and it does not work as well as just communicating with her in one language.

It is honestly quite stressful to me as I feel guilty that I might put my DD in a disadvantage

Hi, the schools you apply at will request a report from your nursery - I'd discuss your concerns with her current care provider and make sure that they reference the fact that English is not necessarily her first language. This may help.

In my experience of these tests at the schools you mention, they will watch the kids play and then have a few words with them independently.

Also, if the worst comes to the worst, you can always apply at 7+ where she would have had 3 years of English schooling and then her second language will be a massive bonus. It also saves you more than 30k in fees and you can throw a few grand at a tutor for the year before the exam :-)

Honestly - being bi-lingual is better than JAGS or Alleyns... the cognitive benefits of learning two languages from tiny far outweigh a couple of years perhaps missing out on private schooling.

You've done the right thing, don't worry x

Clutterqueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where would your 4 year old be having an

> assessment?

Hello Clutterqueen.

We'd like her to go to JAGS or Alleyns, so she'll be having assessments there.

Are you familiar with their 4+ assessments?

Somerset Wrote:

>

> Honestly - being bi-lingual is better than JAGS or

> Alleyns... the cognitive benefits of learning two

> languages from tiny far outweigh a couple of years

> perhaps missing out on private schooling.

>

> You've done the right thing, don't worry x

Thanks Somerset.

I also was of the same opinion, but now after speaking with the tutor and after looking at the vocabulary and fluency of other, non bilingual kids I realised that DD is a bit behind in vocabulary and speech. An article I've read about bilingual kids said that one language kids can have let say 1k word active vocabulary and bilingual would have at least 500 words in each language. In total it makes at least the same amount of words they know in total, however bilinguals operate with only half words which makes their speaking less fluent and more babyish.

"It also saves you more than 30k in fees and you can throw a few grand at a tutor for the year before the exam :-)"

This is altogether another dilemma that we have - either to send DD to a private school or to send her to a good state school and then be able to afford to pay for tutors and a ton of extra curriculum enrichment clubs.

I think we'll give it a good go at 4+ and then at 7+ and see...

I have got a reply from one very helpful mum who advised to improve drawing and scissor skills as this is also being checked at the assessment.

DD is still far from drawing a person. She still likes to scribble, but if encourage can draw a circle with eyes and a line for a mouth. Does anyone have an idea what should be drawing and scissor skills for 4+ assessment. I guess we could use lockdown to improve both:-)))

• 1 month later...