Furthest distance for offers on primary schools...

in particular harris primary east dulwich.

On southwarks website they only list the distances for community schools.

Just wondering if there is any point in listing harris ed as 1st choice for daughter due to start school next year, we are near goose green.

Thanks

Hello loveED86

I'm at the same situation DD is due to start school next year. We are located almost at the junction of Melbourne Grove and E Dulwich Grove so Goose Green is the closest, but ideally I'd like to have Harris as the firs choice. GG is under 300m on the straight line and Harris is 497m according to Google map straight line measuring device.

I'd appreciate an advice on local school catchment.

thanks.

loveED86 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> in particular harris primary east dulwich.

> On southwarks website they only list the distances

> for community schools.

> Just wondering if there is any point in listing

> harris ed as 1st choice for daughter due to start

> school next year, we are near goose green.

> Thanks

Hi Carolinebog

We are by goose green park and nearest school is St. John?s which is great, also close to the new Belham school on bellenden road which will probably be our 2nd choice if no chance of an offer at Harris ED.

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the distances, I believe most children that go to Harris do live very close to the school so like most schools in the area their catchment is probably small.

Not sure if hugely helpful, but we applied for a reception place for September 2020. By my calculation, we are around 499m from Harris ED and didn?t get in on first offers. I?ve asked Southwark for details of our place on the waiting list/ the furthest distance offered and will edit my post if I?m given a definitive answer re: distance offered in April.

Historically, given the transient nature of zone 2, (and the fact that many families will apply to both state and private schools at the same time), there has been quite a lot of movement on waiting lists between now and the beginning of the school year in September (and indeed, beyond that), although chances of getting a place based on your position on the waiting list will vary hugely by school (some schools will end up making offers way down their waiting lists (which means that the distance offered can expand by 400 or 500m between April and September) whereas with others unless you?re very high on the list, you won?t stand a chance).

By way of hearsay, I have heard that there were a huge number of siblings at Harris this year (over 50%) and that the catchment for the first round of offers was less than 410m as a result, but I don?t have exact numbers.

I think the best advice is to go and visit all the schools that you have a shot at getting into (including schools such as Bessemer Grange that have a big catchment and good reputation), and then place them in order of preference, with at least one banker on your list (which should be a school that you?re comfortable with, and that based on previous years, you are easily within ?catchment? of). The schools should be happy to provide guidance as to the last distance offered either when you contact them to book open days, or during the open days themselves.

By way of example of a school with a very tight catchment, I don?t have stats on Belham for 2020 entry but I was told at their open day that in 2019 that they made first round offers to a distance of 380m in April and that their catchment had expanded to 407m by September.

Hello Serena

Your post is very helpful.

It paints a realistic picture even if not exactly the one I hoped for :-(((

Fingers crossed you get Harris place for your DC.

Could I ask you if Harris were your first choice and which school you have been offered?

Its such a shame to fall on a year with more than 50% siblings intake...

It seems that our location is surrounded by so many good state primaries, but when one gets into the real catchment figures, options getting very limited indeed.

If we don't get Harris, which is the second shortest distance, then our only option would be Goose Green (under 300m). And honestly I'm not sure about this school. It seems to be a local community darling and in the process of improving, but I'm still not sure about GG.

Thank you Serena, that is very helpful.

Yes I will definitely be looking at the schools September and ask for furthest distances offered, I want to be realistic with schools we?ll apply for and not waste 1st choice. I think we have more of a chance of dd getting into Belham than Harris ED.

Caroline- I agree with you re goose green, yes it?s improved alot and seems to be getting more and more popular but also not sure, We will go to open day incase we are offered gg.

I don?t know about Harris ED but just wanted to make a general point about listing your preferences 1-6 simply in the order which you like the schools. There is no such thing as a wasted 1st choice providing you have at least 1 school further down the list which is a safer option. You don?t reduce your chances of being offered your 2nd choice school by putting a wild card which you like better as 1st choice.

Hi bellenden bear

What I meant by wasted 1st choice was I wouldn?t want to not get offered 2nd more realistic choice for a 1st that was less realistic but would prefer dd to be offered, so if I put a school 2nd and someone put it as their 1st but we live nearer wouldn?t the person who put it as 1st be more likely to be offered a place?? hope that makes sense!

Hi LoveED86 the answer is no. You will be offered your highest preference which you can be offered in accordance with the school's admissions criteria. This means you should put your favourite first even if you only have a slim chance of being offered it. As is sais above, you need to ensure you have have a back-up choice ie don't put down 6 long shots, but have a school you think you are almost certain to be offered a place at somewhere on your form and put all your choices in true order of preference

Renata

Hi Renata

Ok great, we are lucky enough to be in a location with a number of good schools so would be happy with my child to be offered most in East Dulwich. St. John?s is on our doorstep so likely to be offered due to distance but will probably put as 3rd or 4th but would be ok with being offered a place.

Hi @Caroline, we'd love to answer any questions that you have about Goose Green. Ofsted inspected our school in January and their report awarded us a rating of GOOD, reflecting the fantastic progress that school has made over recent years. You can read their report here: https://www.goosegreenprimaryschool.org/school-information/ofsted.

In their report Ofsted highlighted that:

?Goose Green Primary School is a safe, happy place where pupils achieve well and become confident, respectful citizens.?

?Leaders have put together careful plans to make sure that pupils achieve well in a wide range of subjects.?

?Leaders have high expectations and plans are ambitious. Teachers try their best to make lessons enjoyable and interesting. Pupils enjoy topics which are planned around well-chosen children?s literature.?

If you'd like to arrange time for a chat through any questions you have then do please get in touch with the school office and we'll arrange to follow up. I'm sure a conversation with our excellent headteacher would reassure you re: any doubts you have.

Rob (chair of governors)

Hello Rob

I'm impressed how GG governors monitor ED forum. However they reply to different posts with the same quotations from GG Ofsted report.

I have no doubt that it is a nice school with good community vibe - many parents say that in their reviews.

However, as I said in my previous posts I'm not sure how stretching academically it is.

I could not find on GG website any mention of math at the reception year curriculum.

Other local schools even through play bring kids at reception year to quite a good level of numeracy, basic addition/subtraction, shapes, sizes and comparisons etc. It also appears as a curriculum goals for the reception year.

Same with foreign languages.

What about preparation for reading/writing?

The website states quite a few books, but even childminders and babysitters, not being a school, read to kids and discuss texts with them, talk about recycling and food (which is in GG curriculum for reception). I'm afraid it might not be enough and I would expect more than this from a school.

There is no evidence that children are less happy if taught more subjects.

All the information I've stated above I've seen on GG website.

If I missed or misunderstood something, I'm sorry, but that was my impression of the school academic curriculum for the reception year and it hasn't impressed me much at all.

I want my DD not only be happy and thrive in a school, but get good and extensive knowledge.

Please advise.

Caroline

GG governors Wrote:

> Hi @Caroline, we'd love to answer any questions

> that you have about Goose Green. Ofsted inspected

> our school in January and their report awarded us

> a rating of GOOD, reflecting the fantastic

> progress that school has made over recent years.

> You can read their report here:

> https://www.goosegreenprimaryschool.org/school-inf

> ormation/ofsted.

>

> In their report Ofsted highlighted that:

>

> ?Goose Green Primary School is a safe, happy place

> where pupils achieve well and become confident,

> respectful citizens.?

>

> ?Leaders have put together careful plans to make

> sure that pupils achieve well in a wide range of

> subjects.?

>

> ?Leaders have high expectations and plans are

> ambitious. Teachers try their best to make lessons

> enjoyable and interesting. Pupils enjoy topics

> which are planned around well-chosen children?s

> literature.?

>

> If you'd like to arrange time for a chat through

> any questions you have then do please get in touch

> with the school office and we'll arrange to follow

> up. I'm sure a conversation with our excellent

> headteacher would reassure you re: any doubts you

> have.

>

> Rob (chair of governors)

Hi Caroline, there are lots of wonderful quotes in the report from Ofsted's inspection. Another quote from their report that you might find helpful is:

"In the early years, children quickly build on their early reading and their mathematical skills. They enjoy their learning indoors and in the outside spaces. They are very well prepared for their move to Year 1."

I'd really encourage you to take a look at the full report: http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report.

My own children love maths (along with all their other learning) and their experience at Goose Green has really helped to develop this and stretch and inspire them. Our results for reading, writing and maths are all ahead of national and local authority averages (https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/145130/goose-green-primary-and-nursery-school/primary), reflecting the strong focus we have on providing an excellent learning experience throughout the school.

At Goose Green we believe strongly that these results are only part of the education our children need to set them up for life. We offer a broad and exciting curriculum, with particular strengths in music, art, poetry and sport. Our headteacher would be delighted to talk through the teaching and learning that we offer in more detail, please do get in touch with the school office if you'd like to arrange a time to have a conversation: [email protected].

Having been through the school application process myself I know how worrying and stressful it can be. I do hope you find the right place for your DD. I'm sure that if you do choose to find out more about Goose Green you'll be pleased with what you find.

All the best,

Rob

State schools follow a national curriculum with national targets set for every stage/year group. Childminders must also follow the national curriculum for early years, which takes children from 2 to 5 (ie year 1). This is why you have seen similar resources and activities described. How these are presented and the activities created will make the difference, including individual tasks for those requiring support or stretch.

At every stage there are expectations for children's development and criteria for those working towards the expected standard, at the expected standard and those exceeding, which are classified at working at greater depth. All teachers must challenge every child appropriately, so the greater depth children will be given stretch activities. Ofsted rates schools according to this differentiation as well as the level of progress the children make. It is in the school's interests to encourage children to reach their full potential.

Whilst a private school might focus its 'marketing' materials (it has a job to sell, not just inform) on the greater depth, a community primary school is likely to focus on the provision for the average child, but the teachers would be happy to explain what they offer for those capable of working beyond this level. I guess what I am saying is it is important to visit the schools and get a feel for the place, rather than get hung up on something you have read on a website.

carolinebog Wrote:

> Hello Rob

> I'm impressed how GG governors monitor ED forum.

> However they reply to different posts with the

> same quotations from GG Ofsted report.

> I have no doubt that it is a nice school with good

> community vibe - many parents say that in their

> reviews.

> However, as I said in my previous posts I'm not

> sure how stretching academically it is.

> I could not find on GG website any mention of math

> at the reception year curriculum.

> Other local schools even through play bring kids

> at reception year to quite a good level of

> numeracy, basic addition/subtraction, shapes,

> sizes and comparisons etc. It also appears as a

> curriculum goals for the reception year.

> Same with foreign languages.

> What about preparation for reading/writing?

> The website states quite a few books, but even

> childminders and babysitters, not being a school,

> read to kids and discuss texts with them, talk

> about recycling and food (which is in GG

> curriculum for reception). I'm afraid it might not

> be enough and I would expect more than this from a

> school.

> There is no evidence that children are less happy

> if taught more subjects.

> All the information I've stated above I've seen on

> GG website.

> If I missed or misunderstood something, I'm sorry,

> but that was my impression of the school academic

> curriculum for the reception year and it hasn't

> impressed me much at all.

> I want my DD not only be happy and thrive in a

> school, but get good and extensive knowledge.

> Please advise.

> Caroline

>

> GG governors Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hi @Caroline, we'd love to answer any questions

> > that you have about Goose Green. Ofsted

> inspected

> > our school in January and their report awarded

> us

> > a rating of GOOD, reflecting the fantastic