We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messageguinea pigs
Posted by kamath October 07, 02:48PM

We are looking to buy two guinea pigs for my daugtherfor Christmas. Can anybody recomed a good breader?

messageRe: guinea pigs
Posted by nickysydenham October 12, 02:59PM

We are about to adopt 3 guinea pigs (around 3yrs old) from Ark guinea rescue, in Mottingham (near Bromley). Much better to adopt rather than buy new. They have many more available, although they need to neuter some males to make some better pairings.

Posted by BellendenBear October 12, 09:56PM

We got our 2 guineas from Ark Rescue a few months ago. As well as the obvious reasons to rescue rather than buy, I think getting slightly older ones is better for kids as they will be less skittish and more happy to be handled. Were really happy with ours.

Posted by kingy68 October 13, 01:32PM

We got our two rescue Guineas from Foal farm . They neutered them before rehoming them.

Posted by kamath October 13, 04:45PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I will have a look at those places ! Do you keep them outsdie or inside ? I'm just thinking about foxes and maybe rats !!!

Posted by Renata Hamvas October 15, 06:09PM

Hi Kamath,
I agree with the above re rescues. We have ours outside in the warmer months (in a hutch inside a shed with windows, if you have a hutch outside, make sure it is a fox proof one) and inside during the colder months (they moved inside when the weather changed a couple of weeks ago). If you have grass, they enjoy going in a run in summer, they are like mini lawnmowers. They need to be put away by dusk, as yes, foxes are a problem!

Try and get as big a hutch that you can fit. You may be able to pick one up from the Forum. They make great pets.

Posted by monkeyspanner October 16, 01:31PM

Agree rescue is the best option, but failing that, Scallywags in West Wickham are responsible breeders, although not sure if you will get pigs from them at this time of year. We have our pigs inside at night in a c&c cage and an eglu run in the garden during the day. Have a read online as they need a lot of space to run around otherwise they get bored and can fight.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum