Good places to eat with children

I've just been to Il Mirto and my son (6) liked his pasta very much - it's very quick and good value, and staff very friendly, but not much space and decor basic. Locale's kids menu is also quite good and there is lots of space and comfy. When you have a table outside on the right side older kids can go to the playground while the adults have coffee and a chat after the meal. We also sometimes go to Seacow or The Herne or The Gowlett for great pizza. We've also gone to one of the curry places on LL for their sunday afternoon buffet offers, that was great as the kids can try little bits of lots of dishes which is a good way to try them out with Indian food.

Fourways cafe Bellenden Rd. In the greasy spoon vein, but they are always really friendly to our crowd of noisy monsters, in spite of the fact that we must be losing them custom. In fact you probably don't want to go there if we're there! Husband & boys love it though.

Not really on the ED radar, but we have recently ventured to Chinatown for lunch with our 2.5 year old and 1.5 year old. The New World China restaurant opposite the fire station was fantastic, they provided high chairs (although they were the really ancient ones with no front bar, but up against the table they were ok), fine banter with the Chinese waitresses and really tasty dim sum. Kids were very happy with dim sum as it is all very bite size and easy to pick up. Am very excited my horizons are started to reach beyond SE22!

For dim sum I can also recommend Hong Kong City on Old Kent Road. Our kids love it - tanks with crabs and lobster in, dragons on the walls, and prawn crackers, spring rolls, crispy dumplings and noodles for lunch. For top end dim sum we go to Royal China in Canary Wharf - great food and good fro a walk by the river afterwards (or even a boat trip). We also went recently to Yi Ban, near London City airport. Good food, and the kids can watch the planes take off and land.

My 2 year old loves going to Wagamamas - despite being a fussy eater she gobbles up their noodles and they have high chairs and usually give kids some paper and crayons to play with. We usually go to the branch on the river near the Tate Modern, and follow with a stroll along the river and visit to the Tate. Very easy to get to by train from East Dulwich to London Bridge, and they often have special offers going on if you look online for vouchers etc.

Have tried many places for lunch with our little one (15 months), and most places in ED are pretty friendly, but in recent months it has been a nightmare as she is manic, loves running round, grabbing/throwing stuff (especially glass and china) and climbing on chairs and tables, doesn't want to go in a high-chair etc. Much mayhem! Have tried bringing food / toys / books, but she just thinks it's more fun to explore restaurants. No interaction with partner possible and gobbled down food, felt like was spoiling others' lunch.

Maybe in a while she will become an urban London baby and be an expert at good restaurant behaviour - until then we've decided to stick to picnics!

On the bright side, not eating out saves money and calories. Boo.

I find the Herne is great for those on the move. You can sit out in the garden or in the conservatory and watch the kids run round in the garden and on the massive wooden climbing frame/slide structure they have. You can almost forget you have children!

Smiler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have tried many places for lunch with our little

> one (15 months), and most places in ED are pretty

> friendly, but in recent months it has been a

> nightmare as she is manic, loves running round,

> grabbing/throwing stuff (especially glass and

> china) and climbing on chairs and tables, doesn't

> want to go in a high-chair etc. Much mayhem! Have

> tried bringing food / toys / books, but she just

> thinks it's more fun to explore restaurants. No

> interaction with partner possible and gobbled down

> food, felt like was spoiling others' lunch.

>

> Maybe in a while she will become an urban London

> baby and be an expert at good restaurant behaviour

> - until then we've decided to stick to picnics!

Fear not, it does pass.. I seem to recall at about 3 1/2... certainly once they start school!