Baby seat isofix points: UK versus Australian use

skip

Hi,

I'm doing the research on baby car seats, and have found the 'which' reviews to be really useful. The isofix systems seem to be the safest, and our car has isofix points, but does anyone know if the isofix system is used/standard in Australia? The seat may get some use out there, and after much googling I still don't know whether Aussie cars have isofix points. If Australian cars aren't isofix compatible I'll just go for the 3 point seat belt option. If anyone has any ideas on this I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks. Skip.

How weird. Last time we were in NSW, 2002/3, they were definitely compulsory. Haven't been back there since but have been in WA and NT where I am afraid I cannot remember what we did for car seats. Have you tried contacting Aussie friends to find out what they do for car seats? Perhaps it differs in each state.

I know, it's confusing. We've been in touch with locals and they are describing attachment points, but not using language including the term 'isofix' so I'm wondering if it's a different but similar system? Maybe you were driving an imported car when there??? I've tried to check the Aust Standards sites, and the RACV, but that hasn't provided an answer yet. I think I may just go for a seat belt system to secure the seat.

Best to phone and enquire in Australia as we were there in February, in Queensland, and my parents had to hire a car seat for us as our Britax car seat was not 'universal'. They had additional seatbelts secured around the rear facing car seat as well as the 3 point seat belt. Each state may differ though!!

When we travel to New Zealand (quite frequently) we hire car seats through Plunket once we're there - much easier than carting a seat with you - might be worth checking whether there's something similar you could do in Australia?

Isofix have to be used by law in Australia and it has been the case for over 8 years.

Just to clear this up. Australia has had its own standard of anchor point + top tether strap system and for a long time was the only country that officially mandated an anchor point system - but that system was not Isofix, which is a specific standard (and doesn't come with a top tether).

In fact, Isofix has only recently been submitted for standards approval in Australia and many people in Australia prefer the Isofix standard to the "home" system, because it is much easier to use, and therefore considered safer as the seat is more likely to be installed properly.

All of which doesn't help Skip much, but I thought it might explain the apparent contradictions in the information supplied so far.

Thanks everyone.

When the time difference allows a call I'll let you know the outcome.

Planning to purchase a Britax model recommended by Which, so have also emailed Britax, as hoping they also sell to Australia and may know the answer for their specific model.

Thanks for clearing that up Ted. My brother always seemed to know what I was talking about when I discussed with him so assumed the terminology (and system) was the same. My brother usually borrows car seats from colleagues or we have hired them with cars so never had to worry about different systems. Won't stick my oar in again!

Response from Britax Australia:

"Although Britax is a world wide company in Australia we manufacture under the name Safe-n-Sound. Your UK seat will not comply with the Australian Safety Standards. ISOFIX is also not approved for use in Australia. Sorry."