When should you buy proper shoes for newly walking baby?

My 15-month-old son has just started walking. He was really wobbly last week but in a week has come on loads and is quite stable now and walking rather than crawling most of the time. I just wondered when you're supposed to buy them proper fitted shoes like Clarkes as I've heard conflicting things from people.

Friends have said you have to leave it until they've been walking at least 6 weeks to buy them proper shoes otherwise they don't learn to balance properly as they're too heavy. But my son's childminder says he's ready for shoes. I keep him barefoot at home but don't want to risk that when he's toddling round outside or in a playground so the poor boy is still in Robeez elasticated leather bootees. I don't want to do the wrong thing and impede his walking plus there's the expense so happy to delay proper shoes for as long as possible!

Also, can anyone recommend a good place locally to go for fitting?

Oh good question! I have the same dilema although Little Damzel is not quite walking on her own yet, but oh so close. She's 16 months and still in those leather things - my childminder thinks they are really inappropriate and keeps hassling me to buy shoes but I've been to John Barnetts twice now and they won't sell me any until she is walking properly. I want to do the right thing but it's awkward when she's outside and wants to walk around pushing whatever she can to balance.

I just crumbled this week and bought some cheap pretend shoes from Adams which has satisfied my CM but I'm not sure it was the right thing to do...

Bishberro - I would recommend going to John Barnetts and having a chat with one of the assistants there. You definitely won't get the hard sell!

I waited a couple of months until my daughter was going for proper walks in the park or playing standing up for some length of time before getting feet measured and buying clarks.Ijust bought soft shoes from Mothercare while she was still just "pottering"around in the house and occasionally getting out of buggy plus wellies for when theground was wet

Great thread as my 10 month old son started his first unaided steps 2 weeks ago and will gladly walk around holding on to everything! Have got some startrites but a bit big so waiting to fit. In the meantime he is wearing thicker soled sandals, and the trusty crocs when outdoors. Not sure if any good for his feet?

I was told (by a clarks fitter) they have to be walking for a month in order for their feet to flatten and the shoes to fit properly.

John Barnetts have always been very good at fitting my kids shoes. I have had a very bad experience with start-rite shoes fitted at the sports shop in West Dulwich.

When my oldest started walking she was exactly 12 months old. As I recall she got her first shoes after about a month, and I was amazed by what a difference it made to her. The shoes seemed to help her balance massively and she was off like a shot.

I'm not sure what the general advice is, but I don't think it is a huge issue when you get them....on the grounds that I went to Kings for an outpatient appointment with my 9 month old about a month ago - she has one foot that turns in just slightly and they were talking about referring her to have special shoes made with a reverse camber to help the foot straighten. The physio said she could refer her right away (as she is now standing and cruising), or we could wait and do it in September which is what I have decided to do.

I can't imagine they would have offered/discussed this with me unless it was OK to do so.

Molly

i bought my daughter some cruising shoes from clarkes as she is at the in between stage. We have to go back in 4-6 weeks to get her feet measured again. I think as soon as your child is walking then you should get some proper fitted shoes from somewhere like clarkes as they make sure they fit correctly and help to support your childs feet when they are walking

Podiatrists recommend that a child is able to walk unsupported across a room and back before they are put in shoes. It is very important that they are able to feel the ground when they are first walking. Even when they are sturdy walkers it is important that they still spend as much time as possible bare foot (not even socks) unless they have a particular problem that needs correcting. The same goes for all of us.

mine just started standing (not unaided) and i got her first shoes (she's 12 months) in Dulwich village, lovely kid's shop. Shoes are great, soft but with proper support. They said (and this is what i was intending to do anyway) to put them on if she wants to walk outside while we are holding her, but keep her barefoot at home so that she can still learn to grip properly. Need to get back in 6-8 weeks, but they said these would last her a long time and they are washable in the washing machine.