Sunday Morning Babysitting - an idea

Would any parents of young children be interested in now and again having a babysitter come for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning so they can get a lie in?

Our friend is looking for some more work and could offer this service. She already does babysitting, mother's help work and cleaning for lots of people in the area.

She could come at about 8am get the kids organised and then take them to the park for a bit while you get a much missed lie in for a couple of hours.

As it is early in the morning I think ?20 for this service is a fair price. It could be a one off or occasional treat.

It was just an idea I have been thinking about for a while but wandered whether other people would think it was a goer. Please let me know your thoughts - no obligation of course!

I think it sounds like a great idea - but 8am is too late. Sorry! I think a lot of tired parents will already have been up for more than an hour by that time, and might have given their kids breakfast, and by the time the babysitter arrives they'll be thinking 'no point going back to bed'. So maybe a 7am start would be better if she could bear to do it - and yes, I think ?10/hour is very reasonable. This would not be like classic babysitting when you just sit on a sofa, this is child-minding. Fuschia is right about insurance, I think.

It does sound like a good idea, but I agree with Moos regarding the time - 8am is too late, certainly in our household, where the kids are up and have had breakfast by then. I'd find it too difficult to go back to bed by then (silly, I know!) as would be up and dealing with the day.

Yes, that's true. 7am would be the time! Or 6.30!! Is the park open then?

I have often thought, btw, there should be a way mums can nap in the afternoon, if pregnant, say.. a minder who'd take an older child out for a 2 hour walk 2-4pm would be a popular offer too, I'm sure!

Or someone who'd be an extra pair of hands at teatime/bathtime for families with a new baby or one parent who works late.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, by 8 we have been up for at least an hour too. Although I would have no problem talking myself into going back to bed if the opportunity was there. :)

The walking in the afternoon is also an idea I'd been thinking of for a while. Basically, all those things you do not have when you don't have a family network around you. I'd have loved someone come and take myine out for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

I think someone police checked, with insurance and references who could help out here and there would be a godsend to families without their own network.

Cover for mum to go to the dentist... for hospital appts.. a few hours help when you have a new baby.. help at bedtime if other parent is away.. that sort of thing. I'm sure it would sell. Admittedly she'd not necessarily be familiar to the children but walking a baby in the buggy for a few hours, or working 4-7pm as an extra pair of hands, that wouldn't be a problem. Or coming to the house and doing the washing up etc and watching the baby while the new mum had a nap or a break.

Great idea.

Other things my sister and friends and cleaner have done to help me since I had the twins:

Go through the drawers of baby stuff and take out everything grown out of and pack up for charity or to sell/freecycle/give away/loft

Tackle the washing mountain, take the ironing pile and either fold and put away, or iron as necessary.

Clean out the fridge! Giving the bathroom a really thorough clean, the bits I couldn't reach when pregannt with twins, and then had no time to do, once they were born.

All while helping with the baby/ies and making a cup of tea and having a chat.

Fuschia is so right - a paid extra pair of hands in the pm so that a new mother can have an uninterrupted nap or to pop round and make some casseroles for the freezer and do a load of washing, etc. A bit like a cleaner but with a wider remit. What a good idea.