Picking blackberries

There are loads in the adventure playground area at P Rye.

We filled several large cups full and ate twice as many and the babies were happy to sit in their buggy and watch and be hand fed. Noone has been picking them, so there are loads low down too.

I (domestic goddess style) made apple and blackberry crumble using fruit from our garden earlier this week - first crop of blackberries were ripe and very sweet. Apple and pear trees are dripping with fruit this year, the kids will be living on it!

Its pretty variable (you can use most fruit, and as its strained you don't need to be too fussy about preparing them thankfully):

2kg fruit

100ml water (for blackberries/soft fruit - use 600ml for blackcurrants, apples, hard fruit - 300ml for plums/stone fruit).

Bring slowly to boil, and mush with wooden spoon or potato masher, cook gently till juices are flowing (may take up to 45 mins depending on type of fruit, but fast for blackberries).

Strain juice through one of your babies handy muslin cloths (although even I try and make it a clean one lol) or a fine tea towel which you have scalded (immersed in boiling water).

Measure juice in a jug. For every 1 litre add 700g sugar (or to taste - sorry about teeth rotting!). Heat to dissolve sugar then pour into sterilised bottles, leaving a 1cm gap for expansion. I also freeze it in plastic milk bottles. It lasts ages in the fridge though.

Try it with half apple and half blackberries (saves you picking so many!) - no need to core & peel them, just chuck them in, or plums, damsons, currents, rhubarb etc.