Nurseries AGAIN sorry!!!

Steph

Sorry to go back to this AGAIN but my son is due to start nursery in Jan (when he will be 3) and I am struggling to find somewhere to send him.

I thought I had it sorted, had his name down for both Gumboots and Puddleducks (both of which are a 5min walk for me) but now they are moving it's going to be a total pain for me to get to as I don?t drive.

I don?t want to spend the whole winter getting on buses to a nursery only to have to collect him a few hours later!!! Will only be able to use my goverment grant to pay for it too.

Any ideas? Am close to the betting shop on Crystal Palace Road.

You could try First Steps Montessori or Mother Goose,

both on Upland Road, opposite Goodrich school, about 15

minutes walk from where you are.

Both are likely to have longish waiting lists, but if you're flexible

about days and looking for a part-time place, then you might be lucky for January.

Thanks Guys, ill have a look. Will just be looking for two and a half hour sessions, five times a week - the hours all kids are entitled to..

Fuschia - I thought that because he is 3 in December it kicks in in Jan? Its says on the Southwark website: When is my child eligible?:: The nursery education grant gives children access to free part-time nursery education in the term after they are three..

Would that not be the Jan then?

It is in January (my son is 3 at the end of November). I have just been through the same search (settled for the schlep to Puddleducks despite being round the corner from you, although I drive).

I also replied in the other section. You could try Blossoms Montessori on Dunstans Grove (although they don't do half days, but you could use your 12.5 hours for 2 full days?), or Bojangles (I think they do do mornings only). Both are a pretty quick walk from you. The problem with both is that they don't do term time only to my knowledge so you would have to pay during holidays (the Government subside is only for term time).

Also try the free school nurseries - Heber, Goodrich, Goose Green, Rye Oak (although don't hold your breath for a place)? They do the 2 1/2 hour sessions a day 5 days a week term time only, so nothing to pay.

Steph Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Fuschia - I thought that because he is 3 in

> December it kicks in in Jan? Its says on the

> Southwark website: When is my child eligible?::

> The nursery education grant gives children access

> to free part-time nursery education in the term

> after they are three..

> Would that not be the Jan then?

You're right! It's changed. Handy for me to know for my two!!

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmatters/resources-and-practice/nurseryfaq/

Hi Mellors

All good information, thank you! Might to the walk to Puddleducks and do the two full days there, sounds like a good option, if they will do it..I do have his name down in all the schools too but as you say, I won't hold my breath!

On the subject of nurseries, how early do you need to put your name down for a place?

I will be going on maternity leave soon and will not need a nursery for some time (and don't know when I will need it or for how many days!) I definitely will go back to work just not sure when and whether full or part time - depends on money really!!

I have been told I should be looking at nurserys and booking a place already.......

hi clarec, i put my daughter's name down for a place the Bright Horizons when she was born in October 2008 and have just been contacted about a place there. Worth doing as early as possible, they may possible take registrations before the babies are born. I had no idea how many days I needed either but just sorted that out with them after going on a tour of the place this week.

Hi Steph

Your best bets are the free nurseries Mellors mentions above as you can get the 'proper' free place thing. All the other nurseries are private in one form or another and have slightly different ways of dealing with the gov't free entitlement (which is called 'Nursery Education Grant' or 'NEG'). My experience from Gumboots is that they calculate the full rate for the days you choose and then you get a discount of NEG money depending on how many sessions your child attends. Much as you have to book full days at Gumboots they count a session as a morning or afternoon. We did 3 full days or 6 full sessions and so were eligible for the maximum 5 sessions of 2.5hrs discount. If you only did one day that would be two sessions and so 5hrs free but as the full day there is 9.75hrs you would still have to pay for 4.75hrs. This is quite simplistic and Gumboots calculates it in a slighty diff way, as it has the option to opt out of NEG due to its none profit status but does implement it to a certain degree. I have heard stories of other private nurseries encouraging parents not to reclaim their NEG discount so the nursery itself can keep it and put it towards extra resources for the children.

Essentially you need to speak to the diff nurseries to find out there exact policy.

Hope this helps.

Mrs TP

PS Loved Gumboots as most staff are mothers themselves and have masses of experience of every type of child. It can seem daunting to new parents but if you take the time to initiate conversation with the staff they are lovely and very helpful.

lorraineliyanage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hi clarec, i put my daughter's name down for a

> place the Bright Horizons when she was born in

> October 2008 and have just been contacted about a

> place there. Worth doing as early as possible,

> they may possible take registrations before the

> babies are born. I had no idea how many days I

> needed either but just sorted that out with them

> after going on a tour of the place this week.

Thanks, that's really helpful :-)

Are there many nurseries in the area that accept babies? I have had a look online and most seem to be older children only. I think I need to work out which one's take babies and start making visits!!