Adventure playground - P Rye

Saw them working on other structures a while ago while my girls were swinging on the rope. What on earth were they building that is deemed to be too dangerous? The adjacent skate park is potentially more dangerous than an adventure playground surely?

My (Tory) councillors were quite responsive about this when I was trying to find out when it would reopen... so i've contacted them about this disappointing policy not to actually have much in the way of outdoor equipment.

kingy68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I spoke to the staff in the adventure , the lady

> playworker told me there are plans for another 3

> swings to be erected some time this year ! by the

> sounds of it they are unsure as well.

They said to me they'd had to take down their big platform due to "EU regulations"

I used to love that adventure playground when I was a kid! It was a real test of yourself going to the higher and higher platforms and taking the leap of faith. Probably was dangerous, but then, I don't remember anyone getting more than a grazed knee. Thing is, health and safety has only gone mad because we have adopted his horrible compensation claiming culture.

But surely they can build climbing apparatus that is within EU regulations like they do everywhere else? I particularly like the wooden structures that are a bit different from the run-of-the-mill metal playground frames that you often find out in woodland areas in the country. Kids need a challenge not just a swing.

Agree about the compensation culture but shouldn't it come down to "you ride at your own risk" at some point? As long as consideration has been given to making a structure as safe as it can be and within regulations. Anyway, why has it taken them so long to reach this decision? The reopening of the adventure playground has been imminent for ages.

It sounds like a bit of a strange excuse to me. There are adventure playgrounds with large structures all over London. The spider climbing wall recently erected in the playground opposite the Hornimans, for example, has plenty of potential for falling off!

I've heard of playgrounds in other London boroughs where they are now deliberately buidling them risky and putting up notices warning parents etc that they are built to allow kids to learn about risk and test their boundaries etc. It's a shame I think that it has to be so explicit and 'controlled'. But if others can do it, it makes me wonder why they can't do more for the 'adventure' playground.

I have just picked up on some of the forum entries relating to the Adventure Playground in Peckham Rye Park.

My name is Garry Martin and I am the Southwark Play Service Manager. The adventure playground sits within my section and therefore is managed and operated by the Southwark Play Service ( Part of LBS Children's Services ).

I feel it maybe useful to update your members and comment on some of the information highlighted within a number of entries.

As people maybe aware, the facility reopened to the public at the beginning of this year and some work was carried out to prepare the site for the delivery of a summer programme.

During the spring/summer term, the old remaining structures were removed and the first phase of the outdoor development programme started. Some resurfacing work was completed, one new major swing was constructed and two existing pieces of equipment were modified and upgraded.

We do not usually undertake construction work during key school holiday programmes, so at this stage, the first phase was put on hold until the Autumn term. This both allowed the safe delivery of the summer play programme, and permitted us to build up a larger group of regular users, who could then be given an opportunity to influence the design and/or detail of the new structures being developed.

I must stress that the current provision of swings and their design has not been restricted in any way by issues related to risk and/or health and safety guidelines. Future phases will include more structures, including cable runways, tyre swings and a large border swing. These will be linked by platforms and walkways, which will incorporate an assault course theme.

The Southwark Play Service recognisies the benefits that children and young people gain, by having access to exciting and challenging play opportunities. Peckham Rye will be developed with this in mind.

Peckham Rye Adventure Playground has special memories for me, as for a number of years, I worked as the facilities Senior Playworker.

The location is a great one and the site has always been well used by local children and young people. Together we will not waste this opportunity to create a first class facility.

I would welcome feedback from the forum, including ideas related to the content of the site and the activities provided.

have just picked

Garry, thanks for the update. Glad to hear that more is planned.

Can you update us on what activities currently happen when at the playground/indoor area and for what ages? It's sometimes open when I pass on my way to the swings and my 3 year old wants to go in but I'm never sure if sessions are suitable for her or not. It's never that clear what is happening. I'm sure more folk would use it (and therefore be able to feed back into future developments) if they knew what was on when.

Thanks!